Windows ME Retail to OEM

anothersmith84

My hard drive crashed in my old ME machine. I got a new one and installed it, but I'm trying to re-install ME. I lost my OEM cd that came with my computer, but my friend gave me his retail edition. He lost his retail key.

Windows ME retail won't let me install ME with my OEM key! Is there any way to allow ME setup to recognize it as a legit key? I've changed the PID values in setupp.ini with Windows 2000 and XP before, but I can't find ME's setupp.ini. Is it in some CAB somewhere? I don't even know if ME's version of setupp.ini has PID values that are as easily changed.

I tried using a method I found here. MDGx posted a link to here. http://www.mdgx.com/osr2.htm#INSTAL

I tried editing the MSBATCH file like it said, but it didn't work. It didn't accept my key. Maybe it only works with Windows 95?

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible?

Any input would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance!

I edited the two files (setupx.dll and w9xsetup.bin) with a program called eXeScope. I changed my version 112 (Win98 Upgrade) to 115 (Full OEM CD). When I loaded setup from within VirtualPC, setup said:

A mismatched Setupx.dll is loaded. Setup cannot continue. Quit all Windows and MS-DOS-based programs, and then try again. Or, quit Windows, and then run Setup from the MS-DOS command prompt.

Message SU0349

Did I do something wrong? Can an upgrade version be converted into a OEM Full version?

-Thanks

Edited by anothersmith84

I edited the two files (setupx.dll and w9xsetup.bin) with a program called eXeScope. I changed my version 115 (Win98 Upgrade) to 115 (Full OEM CD). When I loaded setup from within VirtualPC, setup said Message SU0349

Well, it seems it sees setupx.dll as damaged. Maybe for some reason eXeScope broke the file. Try again with ResHack (if it's not a 16 bits file, I can't remember) or try to hex-edit it.

Did I do something wrong? Can an upgrade version be converted into a OEM Full version?

Sorry, I can't answer for personnal reasons.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

I know the difference between the retail and OEM editions of WinME is that in WinME setup, the retail editions ask you for the CD-Key near the beginning of WinME setup while the OEM editions ask you for the CD-key near the end of WinME setup. It was like that in Win98 FE/SE.

my HP pavilion PC came with OEM WinME but no WinME CD. the WinME setup files were stored on the hard drive.

Edited by erpdude8

Microsoft made different setup sequences between the OEM and retail editions of WinME.

So hacking the setupx.dll file will NEVER do the trick. so you can scratch that idea.

Edited by erpdude8

Can an upgrade version be converted into a OEM Full version?

Believe it or not, anothersmith84, yes. But you have to replace the PRECOPY1.CAB and W9XSETUP.BIN files with the OEM editions of WinME setup. WinME setup uses the files inside the PRECOPY1.CAB file. I have these two files.

email me and I may send them to you. then you can run WinME setup and use the OEM product key that you still have.

another difference between the OEM and retail editions of WinME is the file size of the PRECOPY1.CAB and W9XSETUP.BIN files. usually the size of the PRECOPY1.CAB file in the retail editions of ME are bigger than the one found in the OEM editions of ME.

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks so much, erpdude8!! I replaced that file and got a nice, clean Windows ME OEM installation CD. And thanks to the Windows 9x PowerPack, I've got all my updates and hotfixes!!

MSFN Rules!

Thanks again, erpdude8!

-AnotherSmith84

glad to help you out, anothersmith84. be sure to save that precopy1.cab file I gave you along with the WinME setup files on the hard drive so that Windows ME setup wont ask you for the WinME CD.