MS fixes SVCHOST 100% CPU bug

TravisO

well....

i tried to update to the new version of the updater (3.0)

i installed the kb patch

i have reset the dlls for the wid update client

i have removed/reinstalled the update client

i have reset the folder mentioned above....(and yes you can delete it or simply clear the cache in it...it gets rebuilt auto.)

i have run updates and patches and batch files and new installs and SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....nothing is working.

ms wtf.....my sus server is on a 2k box and the updater3.0 requires 2k3 so that is my next prayer...

so plan of attack is to try and update the sus server and the clients again with the 3.0 and kb patch but good grief ms can we get a little help....

does anyone have any other suggestions...i would greatly greatly appreciate any info? thanks

ps...if you have this problem and havent found the other 1,531,744 pages of people having the same issue offering the same advice i will gladly share the batch files i have...some computers they have worked perfectly on, some it took runninng more than once and then there are some it didnt work on at all...just didnt want to bloat the post unless requested....thanks.

Edited by jprice

I have ever experienced that case, I think that is because of the bug of Microsoft Update. You can visit Windows Update website, then disable Microsoft Update and just use Windows Update. After that Svchost.exe never take up 100% CPU...

See the difference at these sites:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...te&ln=en-us

does anyone have any other suggestions...i would greatly greatly appreciate any info? thanks
Edited by lqs_lfzz

I have ever experienced that case, I think that is because of the bug of Microsoft Update. You can visit Windows Update website, then disable Microsoft Update and just use Windows Update. After that Svchost.exe never take up 100% CPU...

That this fixes it is well known - the problem stems from the fact that the Microsoft Update client brings in enough new apps to check for that the XML file used by the WU engine becomes quite large, and causes high CPU spikes due to msiexec parsing over and over on a far higher number of products (Office being on the system usually makes it as bad as it can be).

• 3 months later...