Making XP really idle, not to use disk.

mpapler

I've been at this for quite some time... i tend to listen to internet radio at night, and would like my disk to turn off when i'm not doing anything on the computer. But there's constant activity... winlogon, explorer, ... tried to close all the programs also in the tray, but still the same:

- explorer reads shdocvw.dll every 2 seconds. If i kill explorer and restart again, this stops, but as soon as i open an explorer window (to browse my files), it starts again. even if i close all explorer windows, it keeps reading.

- explorer reads filefsfullsizeinformation at C:\. every minute or so.

how would it be possible to stop doing this? or is there a way so it will store all this data to RAM and then maybe write it every few hours? Also including reading... once it reads from disk, so it would store and not ask again (yeah i know, it's called cache, but doesnt seem to be active altho i've done numerous things to make it work as i expect it to work in theory).

I've already changed quite a few things on my comp (registry and misc advanced settings). XP SP2 with IE6. Am quite an experienced user, 2nd year at FCIS (computer studies, undergraduate). however not a professional windows person :)

thanks in advance for your time and help.

Edited by mpapler

you could try disabling the services, although i'm not sure what else you can do.... you could always mount the drive with elastic to silence it....i prefer good old fashioned FM over internet radio...partly because i have my own radio show... but aside from that, i think that your best bet would be more in silencing the case rather than trying to slow down XP...by disabling services, you could actually mess up the system [i know from experience]...silencing is pretty easy too.

Try disabling indexing service. That tends to do it for me. Basically, it searches your hard drive and indexes files for "faster" searching. I've never seen a performance boost, and to be honest, I'd rather it spend a little time actually searching for the file.

Edited by prx984