System crashes during shutdown

Pensionada

A weird problem:

I have done a fresh re-install of on a slightly older system (P3-900MHZ, 384MB): Windows XP-SP2 with all latest fixes; Office 2003-SP2 with fixes, Adobe 8.0, McAfee Security center.

System runs great BUT crashes (hard crash) during shutdown in the last screen ("Windows is "shutting down")

In the event log I find 2 acpi errors (event 4 & 5) and a service control system error event 7022.

Please advise.

Thanks

Rob

Can you perhaps copy and paste all 3 types of events here, so we can review?

see attached word document (had to get it from the other system to my own)

when I looked at it again, I noticed that the errors come at startup while the crash occurs at shutdown, i.e. I have no further information about the shutdown crashes ...

as it is a clean install (I started with fdisk etc) and the system runs fine otherwise, I really do not understand it.

is there any other place where I could look for logging at shutdown time?

temp.doc

What's the bugcheck code of the crash, and did the box generate any *.dmp files on crash?

There is no blue screen or any message, hence no codes: the system just hangs (hard halt) with the shutdown message on the screen. The only wait out is to cut the power.

Restart then works fine, no messages or anything; the system runs great.

There are no *dmp files anywhere: I did a system search including hidden files etc..

bios upgrade, check acpi settings in bios

Dear Iceman, this is somewhat beyond me.

I looked in the BIOS but could not find any ACPI-values: I disabled power management but that is not what you expected to hear.

And, I have never updated a BIOS: where do I find a good guide for a novice in this area?

By the way, the BIOS is ASUS Med 2001 Award BIOS

Further to my previous mail: I just read instructions on how to update a BIOS and I do not think that I am able to handle this procedure. Certainly not with someone else's PC.

Also, to be quite honest I do not believe that this would be the problem: before the fresh re-install of XP, the system stopped normally. No hardware was changed or added other than adding 256MB of memory.

The re-install was done to bring the system from ME to XP.

Please advise

Further update:

I have been experimenting with other shutdowns: to restart, to hibernate, to stand-by.

It all gives the same effect: crash on "Windows shutting down" screen

Except for unclear reasons one time it came to a BSoD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I did not have time to read the stop code itself. tried to switch off the automatic re-start but the BSoD never came back ... just the full stop.

take out the memory you added and see what happens. or run memtest or such memory tester on the system and see what you get.

Using Memtest86 3.2 Release (11/Nov/2004) I ran 6 passes without errors sofar and as the hard halt occurs at every shutdown, hibnernate or standby attempt it must be something else.