How to create a bootable CD of any software?

kumarkumar

Because if you look at the list of applications most of them are originally GUI based.

Cant talk too much about it but I know Hirens cd has a version of windows on it for the gui tools.

We cant help you replicate this because its warez, but we can help you replicate UBCD or UBCD4Win (in the PE forum).

its not an os, its a bootloader. And in the case of the partition magic cd the bootloader tells the computer to run the partition magic program, in the case of windows the bootloader tells the computer to run the setup program etc.

No, as said, technically the particular app Partition Magic is not just a bootloader it is a program that has besides a bootloader (that only is used in the initial part) the functions of a (minimal) Operating Sustem embedded in the application itself, i.e. it has INSIDE itself a Video (with graphics), keyboard and mouse driver, it can access hard disks and write to them.

These are the typical functions of an OS.

There are no technical difficulties in making a bootloader capable of loading an .exe, but the .exe needs to be independent from any Operating System, which is not the case for the greatest part of them.

jaclaz

jaclaz- I agree with you. The problem is kumar wants to build a bootable app cd. He hasnt told us what apps he wants, and every time clarification is asked he says

Say I want to make a bootable partitionmagic CD, which doesn't require an OS (don't ask me why since I already have one, I just want to learn)

In the case of UBCD i would point out that the cd is made up of numerous bootable floppy images, most of which contain FreeDOS as a simple OS to allow the exe's to function. Also in the case of Norton Ghost when building the image you are given the option of creating a bootable image using PC-DOS (built in) or to use MS-DOS (using your MS-DOS boot disks).

With partition magic I have a feeling that some version of DOS is built into the image (i havent checked the image to see) to allow the exe's to function. Maybe someone who has a version of partition magic can verify this.

I think the best explanation for kumar is that you cant just put an exe on a cd and get it to boot even if you have a boot loader, and that most utility cd's actually contain an OS to load the programs used, but the OS part is transparent to the user.

Edited by phkninja

I think the best explanation for kumar is that you cant just put an exe on a cd and get it to boot even if you have a boot loader, and that most utility cd's actually contain an OS to load the programs used, but the OS part is transparent to the user.

Perfect! :thumbup

jaclaz