doing a little testing I found the following out about

startrekrobs

I386\SETUPP.INI

[Pid]

ExtraData=*** this tells xp if its a upgrade version or full version disk**

Pid=**your key info here***

---- p.s. I don't think the numbers that site are using are real but even if they where I would not use them , plus I just removed the numbers from the pasted test if you want it goto that site

so if for some reason you own both a upgrade xp disk and a full disk , all you have to do on the upgrade xp disk is change the ExtraData to the info on your full disk , and it will not check for a old os on your system the upgrade disk can then install without a copy of the full disk, I found more info on the setupp.ini file here

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

I paste that info below for people that don't want surf to that site, its kind of a neat trick to play on your disks when using nlite I guess, I am not sure how much people know on this , below is the text from the following site web address up their , I don't recommend changing the pid unless you have the number for that version you own, not sure if normal users would never want to do this , it depends on what level type user you are

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=00

Pid=00

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 00 00

Volume License = 00 0

OEM = 00 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=0

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=0OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

For screenshots of the Retail, OEM, and Volume License installs, click here.

Edited by startrekrobs