Integrate JUST MS Word and Excel?

Hi all, I know how to integrate Office XP into my silent install of Win XP, but I do not have a DVD burner and don't really want to fiddle with dual CD setups. So I was wondering if there were any guides on how to "slim" up the Office XP install cd, so I can delete all the mess that I don't need as I only need just basic Word and Excel installed. If I could get it small enough I could easily fit it onto my Win XP cd. :)

Thanks for the help.

Do some searching for an administrative or Network installation. It takes you through the setup process letting you select only the componants you want installed, and creates a .mst file with these details. I dont have an exact link on how to do it, but im sure you'll be able to find it.

The Administration point still contains the whole office package though, the mst file just instructs setup what to install and what not to install. Making an SFX archive in winrar is probably the best solution for now.

Probably a stupid thing:

Creating a administrative installation point like following:

setup.exe /a TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst

unattended.mst customized to only installation of word and excel.

Its only a idea. :)

Thanks guys, I know how to do the custom install .mst buisness. Which is what I do, but I also want to squeeze the Office XP cd down, by deleting unnecessary files that Word/Excel don't use so I can fit it alongside WinXP on the same CD!

I understand exactly what you are wanting to do, but I don't think it can be done. You can try using a tool called FILEMON or something similar to watch what files are used and which are not and then remove the ones it doesn't access. That's about all I can recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, i can go you one better than that.

Go here:

http://www.MSFN.org/unattended/xp/officexp...xp_advanced.htm

About half way down is what your looking for (creating the mst file)

I have just followed the above link through to the end. This is where I am looking for clarification.

It says:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office XP Professional with Frontpage
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP\Unattended.MST /qb-

I am correct in assuming that if I am installing off a CD/DVD I will just need

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office XP Professional with Frontpage
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%systemroot%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\Unattended.MST /qb-

in other words drop the TRANSFORMS c:\...eTC and replace with %systemroot% ?

thanks

ungh, I'm so blind! The syntax used on that page is wrong. Pulpfiction, the syntax you posted is correct, except it should be %systemdrive%

This might also work if Unattended.MST is in the same location where setup.exe is, but needs to be tested first:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

:)

Thanks AaronXP, I noticed you updated the page also :-)

I followed the guide and use the below . PERFECT now ... cheers

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Office11\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Office11\Unattended.MST /qb-