Windows 2003 x64 can't recognize HDD

opel_corsa

When I boot the computer with 2003 Server x64 R2 CD1 and try to install Windows, it doesn't go through; it complains that it can not find the HDD and then reboots. The HDD is apparently installed on Serial-Ch1 and nothing assigned to Ch0.

I know there is a soln to this since Windows 2003 is already on the machine (the previous person in charge has done it).

Any help is appreciated.

The HDD is Maxtor 6L300S0, SATA I believe (can't take a look at the hardware at the moment since the IT person is not in for the week). The error message is:

Setup did not find any hard-disk drives installed in your computer.

Setup can not continue. To quit setup, press F3.

and when F3 is hit the computer reboots.

EDIT: Btw, the server doesn't have a floppy drive. So I can't do the F6 key procedure.

Edited by opel_corsa

If it is a SATA HDD, please add the chipset drivers to the install (either by using nLite which is much more easier and comfortable, either during the install). If you are having a INTEL or nVidia chipset (motherboard) you may need for search for your solution elsewhere, because these two are the only chipsets with SATA support on Windows XP/2003.

You need to find a USB floppy drive then. Or use some of the instructions on the MSFN Unattended site to integrate them into your CD.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/36/

I use that method on my XP disk at work. I have drivers integrated for Intel, NVIDIA, SiS, Promise, 3ware, etc, etc, etc all on the same disk. The same method will work for Server 2003.

The machine is a 64-bit Shuttle X. I have downloaded the 64-bit drivers and used it for the F6 screen (through a USB floppy drive). It detected the SATA-RAID driver and passed the HDD detection part but now when it goes to Windows setup (where I have 3 options: press ENTER to continue the setup, R for sys recovery, and ESC or F3 to exit) and when I press ENTER, it again complains that no HD's were found and the only option I have is to hit F3 to reboot.

I spent almost a full working day on this issue... The funny thing is that, the RAID drivers that come with the machine are not compatible with the machine itself! Apparently the driver floppy is for 32-bit systems...

Any help is greatly appreciated.