AGP card compariable to 9800 pro

cumminbk

If he only plays a few games that are several years old then it's insane to consider spending $150 on a video card. Be specific and explain exactly what he does use the PC for. If it's typical web browsing & e-mail and little else then you can get by with a sub $50 card easily.

If he only plays a few games that are several years old then it's insane to consider spending $150 on a video card. Be specific and explain exactly what he does use the PC for. If it's typical web browsing & e-mail and little else then you can get by with a sub $50 card easily.

The 6x00 cards have been out for almost 3 years now (I can pinpoint it because the 6800GT I have was delivered to me at QuakeCon 2004...my buddy overnight delivered it to me after it was delivered to my home). They're perfect for playing games that are 2-3 years old. Wasting money on a sub-$50 card when he has every intention of playing games that are only 2-3 years old is what's insane. What's more is he'll have the graphics power to play some of the newer games out.

Wasting money on a sub-$50 card when he has every intention of playing games that are only 2-3 years old is what's insane.
That's pure speculation on your part. All the kid said was that his dad 'played some games'.

It's not speculation at all. If you take the time to carefully read his reply, you'll notice that what he actually said is "he plays games 2-3 years old", not "his dad 'played some games'". Could you, in good conscience, recommend that his Dad get a very low end graphics card...only for him to have to turn around two days later and buy another one when he realizes the card he just bought provides inadequate performance for the games he plays? I can't. You're not going to come anywhere close to the performance of the 9800 Pro that he's trying to replace for under $50. And let's be honest...$150 isn't that much to spend on a decent video card. No one is recommending he go out and purchase a $500 top-of-the-line card. THAT would be insane in this situation.

he plays games 2-3 years old
Edited by nmX.Memnoch

do you guys know of a list that compare the benchmarks of older cards like the 9800 pro up with newer x1650pro cards. Tom's hardware had some charts but not ones that compare the older cards all the way up to the newer cards that are agp format.

I think he will go with this one. it has crossfire support but he doesnt have crossfire or anything. this will not effect anything will it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102057

Edited by cumminbk

Most hardware review sites use a standard set of synthetic application and gaming benchmarks so the results are comparable over a given time frame. You could look at several reviews and compare the numbers from each. For example, an X1650Pro review and a 6600GT review could be compared to each other, even if they aren't directly in their resepective reviews.

I've also found that you can sometimes find reviews that compare them directly buy doing a Google search for "Card1 vs Card2". You can try taking a look at this, but the X1650PRO cards he has listed are clocked much higher than that one so it won't be an accurate comparison.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

That's odd that they list it as "CrossFire Support" since it's an AGP card...only one AGP slot on motherboards.