File Compression instead of SFX

I noticed in the tools subdirectory, there's an executable for 7z. But I've found nothing in the user manual to explain its use.

So my question is: is it possible to compress installations to that file format (any others file formats supported too?) to save space, instead of making an SFX and then use some command line in WPI to extract the 7z files to a particular directory and then run setup. I've never used 7z so I'm not sure that if this is possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

v5.6 Updates - Released November 19, 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Lawrenca wrote a script to use 7-Zip to extract archives via a new command called %extract%.

Use like:

"%extract% z:\archive.rar t:\"

Its right in the changelog

v5.6 Updates - Released November 19, 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Lawrenca wrote a script to use 7-Zip to extract archives via a new command called %extract%.

Use like:

"%extract% z:\archive.rar t:\"

Its right in the changelog

Thanks. I shudda looked there first.

I noticed in the tools subdirectory, there's an executable for 7z. But I've found nothing in the user manual to explain its use.

So my question is: is it possible to compress installations to that file format (any others file formats supported too?) to save space, instead of making an SFX and then use some command line in WPI to extract the 7z files to a particular directory and then run setup. I've never used 7z so I'm not sure that if this is possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You could simply make 7z sfx installer which will save you a whole lot of trouble. I have seen references to Fully silent installers for a wide array of software.

• 3 weeks later...

You could simply make 7z sfx installer which will save you a whole lot of trouble. I have seen references to Fully silent installers for a wide array of software.

Without the sfx installer, the 7z file, or any compressed file is smaller. Also, I'm mostly using this for configuring directories, installing shortcuts or installing software that doesn't need an installer, i.e. runs from a simple executable