ATI Radeon 9550 problems

M_win

Hello!

Back again with more new problems.

I got tired of my nVIDIA Riva 128 ZX doing everything BUT 3d so I went out and bought an inexpensive vid card-- ATI Radeon 9550(Bargain: $25). From what Ive read on the internet /or the box too/ its a pretty nice card.

HOWEVER it is giving me impossible to figure out problems. at first it wouldnt load with the system but I fixed that, just added a secondary S3 ViRGE (haha I know) but now when I load Windows xp (right from the beginning of the boot screen, that is) I get blotches of colors and jumping block here and there ( I have installed XPize btw so I have the big blue xp flag screen) when windows finally loaded I installed the drivers but nothing still fixed it self and there is a box outline around the mouse and random blue and yellow lines. I downloaded powerstrip to see if it was clocked wrong but any combination of (safe for now, of course) options didnt help. I looked in dxdiag and all 3 Options were diabled! D3D AGP textures and Ddraw BUT i was still able to run a Ddraw test.

Also I looked in the monitor cable and noticed one pin towards the center was misssing but its also like that on a lot of monitors. hmmm.

Next I checked the bios. Figuring it was a simple switch but this is (mostly) what I have:

AGP setting :4x (also 2x and 1x)

AGP fast write: on (also off)

AGP drive strentgh: auto (also manual)

(in manual it gives you P ctrl and N ctrl and those are hex values from 0 to F)

I also tried resetting the bios and changed performance option from optimal to normal. Right now im searching google but other than that, Im stuck! Help me! PLease somboby help me!

here are some specs:

ATI radeon 9550

A7v133 W/O Audio

Bios revision 1010 01a beta

Amd Athlon 900 mhz Tbird core.

also the vid card is straight from ati, no third party house brand or anything, which kinda breaks the chain of me owning Diamond cards(vid, modem, sound)

If anyone needs more info post it for me will get it! Thanks for any and all of your help!

hmm yes I realized that too. My agp pro slot is compatible with both though and I dont know if te motherboard bios could cause it too. I flashed the last official one some time ago but it also is beta so I may have to go back to 1009

I have read on the internet that other people have both this motherboard AND card and have no problems whatsoever. I also found that it could possibly be a cooling problem.

There is a jumper on my motherboard with 3 settings: 3.5v 3.3v and test mode. 3.5v being the default.

I'll try flashing both bioses and post back. Thanks!

EDIT: flasing either bios didnt help and I found out test mode is 3.6v

Edited by M_win