Windows Boot Manager Error while trying to boot from CD

cassius2117

I have created a new ISO of Vista Home Premium using vLite, and after buring the ISO I get this error upon booting off the disk.

------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. This may be due to hardware or software changes.....

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

------------------------------------

Anyone know what the issue is here? I have tried going through the entire vLite process a few times, tried burning different CD's, but I get this same error each time. Thanks for the help.

Edited by cassius2117

It's only the ISO creation problem, make the final ISO from the modified folder with some other tool, like Microsoft CDIMAGE or OSCDIMG

you can use boot.bin as a boot folder from the vLite.

In the meantime please tell me your exact drive model, also try it with VMware or Virtual PC, and do they boot from it?

If not I'll need just one more thing.

I will try making the ISO with something else. I'm not sure what you mean in this statement "you can use boot.bin as a boot folder from the vLite." Can you clarify that? Also I have burned the CD's using different drives, one is a Plextor PX-755A, the other one I'm not sure since it was in someone elses computer.

Oh a typo. I ment "you can use the boot.bin file from the vLite's root as a boot sector if needed."

For example in cdimage the -b switch is to select the boot sector, otherwise it won't boot when created.

It's only the ISO creation problem, make the final ISO from the modified folder with some other tool, like Microsoft CDIMAGE or OSCDIMG

In the meantime please tell me your exact drive model, also try it with VMware or Virtual PC, and do they boot from it?

I have the exact problem making Ultimate disk:

Info: ..error occured while attemp to read boot config.

Same result using two different computers, two different DVD drives.

(1) Liteon DVDRW - 1693S

(2) BENQ DVD DD DW1620

I burned with Imgburn. I didn't compile using CDIMAGE. Where do I get OSCDIMG.exe, is CDIMAGE newer program?

EDIT: I used CDIMAGE and re-compiled the ISO using the boot.bin inside vlite rar file. It worked great !

Edited by vim

vim, good. Can you please try the VirtualPC or VMWare with the non-working ISO/CD to see if they can boot, so that I know it's you drive specific or something with files.

I'll try with VMware, but I already installed inside Vista itself, and it work okay. I deleted the ISO that I had created with vlite, I just have the new ISO that I compiled with CDIMAGE. Would it make a difference using VMware. If so I will reaply using vlite imaging.

I think what vim was saying is that from within Vista he was able to install the vLite vista package that he made by just inserting the CD and running the install that way. But he did not boot off of the CD with vmware. Instead he is asking if he should remake an ISO with vLite and try booting from that inside of wmware, since the ISO he currently has was made with CDIMAGE... hope I didn't just confuse everyone more.

I have this same thing, where the CD will autorun fine within windows, but it just will not boot from the CD.

VIM: I believe nuhi mentioned that there could be a problem with creating the iso within vLite, so if you are able to boot using the iso you made with CDIMAGE then that would prove his hypothesis. Also trying to boot with vmware would show that it was a CD drive issue not an iso issue.

vim, excellent!

Now just some more of your patience and it will get fixed.

Go in command line, focus on the source root folder, for example D:\VistaDVD

from which you made that failing ISO.

And type

dir /s /b>list.txt

then compress and attach or send me on email the list.

edit: file list received and bug confirmed. will be fixed in the next version.

vim, excellent!

Now just some more of your patience and it will get fixed.

Go in command line, focus on the source root folder, for example D:\VistaDVD

from which you made that failing ISO.

And type

dir /s /b>list.txt

then compress and attach or send me on email the list.

edit: file list received and bug confirmed. will be fixed in the next version.

Confused. Did the edit mean someone else supplied the list file. Anyway here is the attached file you requested:

list.txt

• 1 year later...

I have the exact problem making Ultimate disk:

Info: ..error occured while attemp to read boot config.

Same result using two different computers, two different DVD drives.

(1) Liteon DVDRW - 1693S

(2) BENQ DVD DD DW1620

I burned with Imgburn. I didn't compile using CDIMAGE. Where do I get OSCDIMG.exe, is CDIMAGE newer program?

EDIT: I used CDIMAGE and re-compiled the ISO using the boot.bin inside vlite rar file. It worked great !

Guys I've been trying to create an Vista ultima Boot cd myself with no success. (XP was so much simpler) All the info (bar this one) I have found suggest to resinstall with the dvd which is great but I have no option to repair as I get the same previously mentioned error. BCD error. Hence I cannot repair. At the moment I am trialing it with virtual pc. Can't seem to get a boot image that will work. Am I missing something?