Nlite fails working with mapped drive

Waldo2k2

I've tested this in 1.3RC, 1.3beta, and 1.2.1 stable and it's the same outcome with all three.

Situation: Using a mapped drive to a samba share (permissions 777, owner: samba user) that contains the xp sources.

Outcome: Using the latest AutoImage, RVM and DPB integrate just fine, nLite doesn't do anything. It just closes after "Preparing Selected Tasks". The nLite log only shows the settings I used, no errors. Using the EXACT same AutoImage ini I integrate the same sources, only this time they're located on a local drive and it works splendidly.

::edit::

forgot to mention that if I reopen the sources with nLite after it fails, it complains of a broken nLite something or other (basically stating that it didn't work on those sources)

Other notes: Originally I put the source installation files onto the samba share from the server itself...this resulted in my linux box account being the owner of those files, which made nLite complain that there "wasn't enough space" when selecting the sources (this behavior was the same in 1.2.1, 1.3b, 1.3RC). So by copying the source files to the samba share from my windows box, my windows user (effectively samba user on the linux box) was the owner of the files and could change permissions (such as removing any read-only flags). That is why I believe it threw the not enough space error.

Possible Causes: Samba user was not the owner of the containing folder in which the source files resided...possibly this is what made nLite unhappy? Perhaps this is isolated to samba shares on linux servers? It would be interesting to see if someone experiences the same issues when working with a samba share hosted on a windows box...

Edited by Waldo2k2

I've tested this in 1.3RC, 1.3beta, and 1.2.1 stable and it's the same outcome with all three.

Situation: Using a mapped drive to a samba share (permissions 777, owner: samba user) that contains the xp sources.

Outcome: Using the latest AutoImage, RVM and DPB integrate just fine, nLite doesn't do anything. It just closes after "Preparing Selected Tasks". The nLite log only shows the settings I used, no errors. Using the EXACT same AutoImage ini I integrate the same sources, only this time they're located on a local drive and it works splendidly.

::edit::

forgot to mention that if I reopen the sources with nLite after it fails, it complains of a broken nLite something or other (basically stating that it didn't work on those sources)

Other notes: Originally I put the source installation files onto the samba share from the server itself...this resulted in my linux box account being the owner of those files, which made nLite complain that there "wasn't enough space" when selecting the sources (this behavior was the same in 1.2.1, 1.3b, 1.3RC). So by copying the source files to the samba share from my windows box, my windows user (effectively samba user on the linux box) was the owner of the files and could change permissions (such as removing any read-only flags). That is why I believe it threw the not enough space error.

Possible Causes: Samba user was not the owner of the containing folder in which the source files resided...possibly this is what made nLite unhappy? Perhaps this is isolated to samba shares on linux servers? It would be interesting to see if someone experiences the same issues when working with a samba share hosted on a windows box...

The one thing you didnt mention (except in the title, which is why I am asking) is whether you tried this with an actual mapped drive that has a drive letter on your machine, or just a samba share that doesnt have a drive letter..