disk partitions

j_palmour

howdy,

I just did installed XP from ME using the new install option. I was hoping doing this would format my hard drive and allow me to start from scratch but this was not the case. I wanted to have two partitions/volumes on my computer one for windows and all of my program files, the other and extended partition(i think) for data. When I installed XP it worked fine, except I ended up with one partition on my hard drive and all of the data and program files from ME. How can I reformat my hard drive and start XP on with my drive completely clean?

if you want XP only, just reboot with a 98 start up disk in drive a: and choose load with cd-rom support. The when you get to a prompt type "c:" and then type "c:format c:" and your off to format land. Then afterwards boot from the cd and install XP

-XPerties

To get started just how you want the drive - you can also copy FDISK (can't remember if it is .exe or .com) to your W98 boot disk. The after you boot to the floppy - run fdisk. There, you can delete all existing partitions and set up the 2 you want. You will need at least 3GB for winXP (I think) and then set up the second for all remaining stuff. Then you can format each partition and install XP from there.

LS