Symantec AV 10 - DONT disable windows defender - how?

Has anyone managed to find the silent install switches for Symantec AntiVirus 10, for Vista?

I would need to prevent live-update from running, & also tell SAV to not disable windows defender.

On XP, the command-line used to be:

Symantec-AntiVirus.msi /QB RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

I've been installing SAV10 on Vista without too much issue thus far, but I ended up using a transform to install it rather than the command line (because the "disable Windows Defender" checkbox doesn't appear to be exposed as a public option switch in the MSI package). Rather than fighting to figure out the command, I just installed with a transform.

cluberti

we was just lookin at your cmdline you posted and now its gone and you changed it

dang wish I could edit posts without it showing I did

Ya gonna stick by what you say ya'll need to drop the edit by on our posts also

someone just said post the transform cause they copied the cmdline you posted

Cluberti said

msiexec /i "%sourcepath%\Symantec Antivirus.msi" REBOOT=ReallySuppress RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 ADDLOCAL=SAVMain,SAVUI,SAVHelp,EMailTools,OutlookSnapin,Pop3Smtp,QClient NETWORKTYPE=1 SERVERNAME=SAVSERVERNAMEHERE ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 /qn
Edited by maxXPsoft

Rather than fighting to figure out the command, I just installed with a transform.
Thats a very good idea!

Is there any chance you could post the MST here? (i doubt that it could be illegal in any way)

And also, are you aware of any light MSI editor to make transforms, which can run without too much fuss by just running its EXE from folder & doesnt need to be re-installed everytime i format my C: partition? (preferably freeware? which app did you use to make your transform?)

@prathapml, not sure if this will help seemingly Orca can do mst files found this on another forum.

You mention losing all of your custom edits to the .msi file when you re-build you install project. I had the same problem but then realized that orca has a build in feature that fixes that problem. In Orca if you open an msi, go to the Transform menu option and select 'New Transform' now make all the changes you'd like to the msi file through orca and then select 'Generate Transform'. Orca will save all of your changes to a special .mst file. Then, in order to use the transform, open your msi again, select "Apply Transform" and pick the .mst file you created. All of your changes are made to the msi file again, and then you have the option to save the transformed msi file. This is a good solution if you need to repeatedly build you install project in Visual Studio, plus it has the benefits of not actually changing the original msi file - it will make you save the transformed version under a different name

Some apps on this webpage for working with MSI files :rolleyes:

http://www.thomaskoetzing.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=67&Itemid=159

@urie

superb, i managed to achieve the result with your pointers! :D

Tried install-tailor from your link, it didnt do what was needed. Then used orca like you said, & was fiddling with it after opening the SAV msi for 10 mins, then i happened to note the "CheckBox" table & there the solution hit me! It has all options listed there. So now i wont make an MST but use this command instead:

Symantec-AntiVirus.msi /QB RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 DISABLEDEFENDER=0 ISCHECKFORPRODUCTUPDATES=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

In brief, what i did was:

a. Obtained SAV for vista from symantec after logging in for my downloads.

b. Made a "network Install" of the downloaded installer (using /A switch).

c. Updated the vdefhub.zip by downloading the latest VirusDefs-i32 from symantec & replacing it with the newer zip.

d. The above command to install it silently.

@MAVERICKS CHOICE

And thus ends the problem with SAV. I wont even bother to solve issues with other AV's since SAV is light & efficient - does the job & has been consistent enough that i can trust it (unlike the bloated AVs & interfering ones by other companies). I might even go so far as to recommend that you use SAV as well. :)

@prathapml, glad info was of help to you yes Orca is small but very handy for getting available switches in MSI files.

WICLB (Windows Installer Command Line Builder) also good although it doesn't get all available switches, see images below.

@urie

superb, i managed to achieve the result with your pointers! :D

Tried install-tailor from your link, it didnt do what was needed. Then used orca like you said, & was fiddling with it after opening the SAV msi for 10 mins, then i happened to note the "CheckBox" table & there the solution hit me! It has all options listed there. So now i wont make an MST but use this command instead:

Symantec-AntiVirus.msi /QB RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 DISABLEDEFENDER=0 ISCHECKFORPRODUCTUPDATES=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

In brief, what i did was:

a. Obtained SAV for vista from symantec after logging in for my downloads.

b. Made a "network Install" of the downloaded installer (using /A switch).

c. Updated the vdefhub.zip by downloading the latest VirusDefs-i32 from symantec & replacing it with the newer zip.

d. The above command to install it silently.

@MAVERICKS CHOICE

And thus ends the problem with SAV. I wont even bother to solve issues with other AV's since SAV is light & efficient - does the job & has been consistent enough that i can trust it (unlike the bloated AVs & interfering ones by other companies). I might even go so far as to recommend that you use SAV as well. :)

No worries glad to see you solved that problem.

Aha!

So this should work, and it does:

Corporate with an A/V server on the network:

msiexec /i "%sourcepath%\Symantec Antivirus.msi" REBOOT=ReallySuppress RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 ADDLOCAL=SAVMain,SAVUI,SAVHelp,EMailTools,OutlookSnapin,Pop3Smtp,QClient NETWORKTYPE=1 SERVERNAME=SAVSERVERNAMEHERE ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 DISABLEDEFENDER=0 /qn

Corproate w/out an A/V server (use Symantec's public servers):

msiexec /i "%sourcepath%\Symantec Antivirus.msi" REBOOT=ReallySuppress RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 ADDLOCAL=SAVMain,SAVUI,SAVHelp,EMailTools,OutlookSnapin,Pop3Smtp,QClient NETWORKTYPE=2 ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 DISABLEDEFENDER=0 /qn