boot.ini

if want to add OS Load option then U should edit the TXTSETUP.SIF and search for OS Load option.

If U want to place the boot.ini during the unattened installation then U should use OEMPreinstall=Yes in WINNT.SIFand place the the file in C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\ folder where C: is the drive of installation file source.

I don't think you can put it anywhere. I am not srue, but I think it is dynamically generated at first boot. What I do is, I modify the file using this command in my Reboot.cmd file

bootcfg /raw /id 1 "/noexecute=AlwaysOff /NOPAE /fastdetect" > nul

The items in between the quotes, gets added to my boot.ini file

I don't think you can put it anywhere. I am not srue, but I think it is dynamically generated at first boot. What I do is, I modify the file using this command in my Reboot.cmd file

The items in between the quotes, gets added to my boot.ini file

Nice. Its really rocking trick compare to anyother

if want to add OS Load option then U should edit the TXTSETUP.SIF and search for OS Load option.

If U want to place the boot.ini during the unattened installation then U should use OEMPreinstall=Yes in WINNT.SIFand place the the file in C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\ folder where C: is the drive of installation file source.

Doing it your way will risk either an error at first boot, because the file cannot be created (it already exists) or it will be over written with the one created at first boot. If you were to use your method you would need to change the attributes of the file in the Reboot or CleanUp.cmd

• 3 weeks later...

In fact, very nice.

Do you happen to know how I may also change the entry's Friendly Name, i.e. its description, for instance "MS Windows XP Professional N"?

Bootcfg /copy has got a switch /d which affects the Friendly Name, I just like to modify the extant entry (id 1).

Any idea how this could be done?

This can easily be done. It will require two steps

@echo off
bootcfg /copy /d "Mikka's Microsoft Windows XP" /id 1
bootcfg /delete /id 1

The first line copies the tag and modifies the description.

The second line deletes the original tag and the modified tag will now be the default tag (id 1)

Thank you.

Although your approach seems to work as expected, it looks somewhat awkward to me:

Having to copy the extant entry to a renamed one, deleting the initial one afterwards.

Is there no more straightforward way to achieve this?

:hello:

Mikka

• 1 year later...

Gee, that command to change the text is fan-fvcking-tastic. many ty's

im about to test but im hoping new installs default to id 1. therefore u can change the current build with id 1 everytime. i'l be running 2 xp installs on 1 partition, one has edited paths (prog files \ win) etc...... sorted me out nice one