Start-Menu

Hello,

Is it possible to change the default location software installs itself in the Start-Menu?

Currently it's Start > Programs, would it be possible to change it to Start > Programs > Software or is this option defined in each individual program, rather than by Windows.

laze.

Actually, it can be done. Google for a program called "junction", created by Microsoft.

What junction does is that it makes a shortcut out of the folder of your choice and makes it point to another catalog. Instead of actually having files in it, it points to a different location so that when a programs comes and says "I wanna put some things here", the junction answers "I'm sorry, this folder is no longer available. You'll have to put it over there." This way, you'll get exactly what you want. It's what Vista uses to accomplish the "Documents and Settings" -> "User" folders conversion. Remember, you won't be able to use "Programs" for anything else besides the junction.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Marthax

Hi Marthax,

Thank you for your reply.

I have downloaded and tested Junction, it works perfectly and I'm sure it will come in useful in the future... However, in this particular case it does not provide a solution. Junction will only create a junction if the directory you're linking from is empty.

laze :-)

Edited by just_laze