Deleted files cause IE6 to stop with an error

fblair

When running AVG Spyware, it found problems. When I told it to eliminate the problem files, it said that a couple of Windows files would be deleted and if I did not want to delete them, I needed to insert the Windows XP CD, I was not at home at the time and before I could get home to get the CD, the battery went dead and the computer shut down. Now everytime I run IE6, everything seems to run fine, but when I close the browser it always says it has encountered and error and I get the MS Error reporting dialog box; it always appears twice so I guess it is finding 2 errors. I am running Windows XP with SP2 installed and have no other apparent errors.

Thanks,

Fred

What is the exact text of the 2 error messages (inlcuding the caption of the dialog box)? Is there an OK button only in the error window, or other buttons as well?

If you think some system files could be missing/damaged, try running SFC /SCANNOW with WinXP's CD insterted into the CD/DVD drive. This will restore any altered/missing files.

Edited by Naki

When I told it to eliminate the problem files, it said that a couple of Windows files would be deleted and if I did not want to delete them, I needed to insert the Windows XP CD...

That's Windows File Protection which monitors and replaces (if necessary) system (.DLL) files if they are modified or removed. These files are stored in a hidden directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache.

You can disable this, however if you're a general user I wouldn't recommend it as the feature is there to prevent/reduce headache from problems like this.

I would suggest inserting the CD and do as Naki suggests and Dial-A-Fix to unregister and reregister all the essential files. This should resolve those errors.

You don't "find" them. Just click Start on your Start menu, then click "Run...". After that, enter sfc /scannow into the Open: box (note the space after sfc), and press Enter. sfc is the command, /scannow is just a parameter of the sfc command, and isn't a command by itself. You will need to insert your original WinXP setup CD into the CD/DVD drive. A progress bar will appear, and it will take some minutes to check all your files. After it is done, restart the computer and try Internet Explorer again. If the problem is still there, do a Repair from the WinXP boot CD.

P.S. Sorry I didn't reply earlier...

P.P.S. It would be nice if you said what is the exact text of the error messages you are getting.

Edited by Naki