Missing file & unregistered fixes after winxp install

karnokd

But I already answered...it's to make it better, more sleek...but as every new thing it could broke, that's why we have betas.

Popups...well those black screens when it's deleting a file or something similiar, you may notice them in older nlite versions during Registering Components or at the first user logon. Also nhelper can delete used files and stuff like that. I can add whatever is needed in it and it's written in c++.

i was confused when i saw references to nhelper too, as i remember coming across spyware called navexcel in work that used a dll called nhelper

Edited by bledd

But I already answered...it's to make it better, more sleek...but as every new thing it could broke, that's why we have betas.

Popups...well those black screens when it's deleting a file or something similiar, you may notice them in older nlite versions during Registering Components or at the first user logon. Also nhelper can delete used files and stuff like that. I can add whatever is needed in it and it's written in c++.

If you need to do some modifications for every new user account you might as well use some Group Policy logon script. These scripts are run automaticly at logon for every user, plus completely hidden to the end-user. These scripts are saved in Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts. No need for any helper dlls

i'm not being pedantic here, but i dont think you can use group policy in xp home

Well, I'm using Windows XP Professional, but afaik Windows XP Home does take over Group policy Settings. The only stuff missing is the gpedit.msc and abilities to take GPO from a network computer. It's worth a try I guess.

To make use of these options people can easily see what actually runs on their systems, so no hidden tricks are played :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am using v1.3RC of nLite and have removed components, mainly languages and disabled SFC and still get nhelper missing. Anything else I need to consider?

Also, how do I re-enable SFC? The dialog box for it is not dimmed so can't enable it now.

Thanks.

PS: I was using v1.0RC2 previously thats why I'm until now getting this.

If you need to do some modifications for every new user account you might as well use some Group Policy logon script. These scripts are run automaticly at logon for every user, plus completely hidden to the end-user. These scripts are saved in Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts. No need for any helper dlls

Just to clarify, as far as I can tell, the nhelper that nlite uses is an EXE, not a DLL..