Best Edition Of Win2K?

xelapond

I can get:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package 1

Windows 2000 Server

One of them for Free, which one is like the "Vista Ultimate" of 2000

Does one of them have ALL the fetures as the other ones, if not will you pls explain the differences.

Thanks, Xelapond

It's funny how people always "recommend" things like that (datacenter/advanced server/etc), just because it actually sounds better, and nothing else.

You haven't even said for what purpose, so even there nobody should be able to make any real recommendation either (totally disregarding workstation/server OS differences). As a desktop, I'd say Win 2000 Pro. As a server, Win 2000 Server is more than sufficient.

What Advanced Server gives you over the the normal Server edition?

-support for up to 8GB of RAM on special and expensive PAE systems (not normal x86 hardware; if you had such specialized server hardware you wouldn't be asking those type of questions here)

-8 way SMP (I very much doubt you're going to put this old OS on a 8 way Opteron or Xeon box that costs tens of thousands $)

-some clustering support (something for VERY high loads most companies don't even need, expensive setup too, and if you were into clustering you wouldn't be asking such basic questions here)

So no, you don't want Advanced Server, it won't do anything more for you than the normal Server version, and that's assuming you're going to run a server with it. Most people recommending Advanced Server or Datacenter base their "recommendations" on the name alone, not because they know the differences between them. It's not better than the plain server edition for normal servers and purposes.

Win2k Pro is basically like WinXP (a desktop OS)

Win2k Server is basically like Win2003 (a server OS)

Just pick the one you need between the two.

Well, Is there any downs about going with advance server, are there any things that proffessionsal and server have that advanced dosn't?

Is there anything thst Pro has that server dosn't, i am not running a server now but i do plan to in the futere

I think Windows 2000 Advance would be overkill. Windows 2000 server and advance will allow you to setup a domain, join computers (pro) to the domain to make mamagement easier. Also Windows 2000 server allows more then 10 connections via file sharing and printing.

M$ recommends you use a server if you have more then 10 computers on a network. This is because mainly Active directory allows you to gain more control over computers thus cutting down overhead spent on individual computers. You really need to look into Active Directory and decide if you need it or not. Also Windows Server family is designed more for server to client use, they make it so process are cut down on the gui side but increased for the client side.

Also Windows server allows for more then one concurrent vpn connection, terminal services, and routing and remote access (vpn in also part of this service).

If you plan to deploy an exchange server you will be required to use a server version of Microsoft. I am not very familiar with Advance server for i have never came across a need for it that i know of.