.NET 2.0?

Hixin

So does anyone know if Vista is able to run .NET 2 based apps straight after install?

Only reason I ask is so that I can "re-use" an application installer that I wrote awhile back for installing all my drivers, apps, etc...

Edited by Hixin

Actually, .net 3.0 ships with Vista. If you want to use .net 2.0 or 1.1 apps, you'll need to install the redistributable.

And since .NET 3.0 is really new stuff (WPF/WCF, etc) on top of the old v2.0 framework, you really have both.

So one only needs to install v1.1 if one has old .NET apps that require it.

Actually, .net 3.0 ships with Vista. If you want to use .net 2.0 or 1.1 apps, you'll need to install the redistributable.

And since .NET 3.0 is really new stuff (WPF/WCF, etc) on top of the old v2.0 framework, you really have both.

So one only needs to install v1.1 if one has old .NET apps that require it.

Can someone tell me how interoperable are .NET frameworks with .NET applications?

ie: 3.0 framework supports 3.0 & 2.0 apps, 2.0 supports 2.0 only, etc...

It depends on the application, but most applications will not run if the actual framework they were written to is not installed. This is due to the fact that all framework files for each version are stored in different folcers. In general, no, backwards compatibility does not work between framework versions.