Modifying Sendto Menu

lurk&jerk

When using nvidia or other special sata drivers. It populates sendto menu with all my logical drives whereas MS standard drivers don't. I'd also like to get rid of the floppy drive in send to. I'm even up for disabling sendto altogether and create and equivalent new folder witih sendto functionality. (The only things I really use frequently are sendto clipboard, sendto desktop and sendto mail.)

Drives are not editable. They don't appear as shortcuts in the Sendto folder. Try to loose ythe floppy drive in your sendto menu if you have a floppy drive installed. You can't do it. There's no short cut.

Edited by lurk&jerk

I'm pretty sure that Win2k and Win 98 are different. In XP, the CD and floppy (if you have one) appear in teh sendto menu and the menu cannot be organized aphabetically, like it could in Windows 98. If you install sata drivers and your hard drive has logical drives, then XP populates the sendto menu with all those drives, and, again, they don't appear in the user profile. That's what I'm trying to hack.

Hello. I'm trying to elminate drives here. Evidently, no one who is responding to this post has XP. Otherwise they'd see what I'm talking about.

I know the Send to folder is nested in the Profiles diretory. But in XP the actual sendto folder does not contain hard drives. However the Sendto menu DOES. I'm trying to figure out what mechanism populates the menu with the drives so I can get rid of them and make my menu less cumbersome.

Please see this thread:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1087569389

Edited by lurk&jerk

Hello. I'm trying to elminate drives here. Evidently, no one who is responding to this post has XP. Otherwise they'd see what I'm talking about.

I have XP and know what you're talking about. And I'd really like to get the drives off my SendTo menu also.

I have XP and know what you're talking about. And I'd really like to get the drives off my SendTo menu also.

Well, if you drill down in the post I cite at Windows Annoyances, you can get rid of any CD drives by unchecking the "recording" feature on the CD drive's properties page. But, apparently, there's no solution I can find for nuking floppy and hard drives.

I am quite taken aback by some of the responses in this thread (given the nature of this site).

I too have been looking to find a way to do this. In fact a few years ago I asked an MVP on some Microsoft Newsgroup how to do it. He tried and tried, and after several days posted back a message ranting that he had wasted 3 days and was getting no where and so was going to abandon trying - lol! :rolleyes:

Why Microsoft insist on pi**ing people of by doing stuff like this is beyond me. The Win2k Send To folder was much better, as it was just a standard folder with shortcuts in it. You could even flip the hidden attribute on the shortcut to make it disappear from the menu (without having to permanently delete it).

I'm a noob, so I'm not really in a position to speculate, but I would say there are 2 possible solutions (both of which I have yet to investigate myself).

1. Nuke the entire Send To menu, and re-create it with a 3rd party tool (so that you can control exactly what goes into it).

2. The "will not die under any circumstances" nature of these menu entries is behaviour that is typical of Shell Objects. This suggest it might well be a GUID key under CLSID with attributes set to prevent editing (although how you'd go about finding the relevant GUID is another matter).

Sorry to not be of any help. I wish I knew the answer myself.