Network Disconnect

Graham_Tee

Hi All,

I thought this would be an easy one, but it is turning out not to be.

Several years ago, I had a Software Lead who was a security buff. He was also one of the first people I knew to jump into Cable Internet. Way back when, he gave me a small utility that did only one thing, it disconnected and reconnected a computer from a LAN. It was a small functional chunk of code. It put an icon in the systray (optional) and click on, click off. I tested it on both Win98SE and NT4 and it worked just fine. It was as unobtrusive and thorough as pulling the ethernet cable out of the NIC.

I do not remember the name of it. I have been searching high and low and cannot find anything that even resembles it. It would be a great tool for HS Internet.

Does this jog anybody's memory?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Konus,

What I really need to do is to effectively knock the NIC offline. I have found two applications that I thought were promising, but the closest they come is to turn of DUNS. Heck, who needs an application to do that??

I am beginning to think I am just going to have to write one myself. The trick is to do it without giving a problem to Windows.

Oh, your English is much better than my Polish!!!

:)

Start>Settings>Network Connections>Right Click on the NIC connection and go to Properties>Select the General tab. Now at the bottom of the window is a check box for "Show icon in notification area when connected" Check this box.

Now the icon will show in the task bar near the clock. Right click on the icon and the pop up window will give you an option to disable the connection. You can turn it back on the same way..

I hope this helps..

Thanks Tinker, that is part of the solution.

1. Is there anyway to keep the LAN connection Icon in the Systray when the LAN is disabled? It does not seem to Obey the rules for not hiding inactive icons.

2. Any solution for my systems with Win98SE??

Thanks for your help.