get message 'Security setting prohibits ActiveX...game won't l

jotho

Hello all..

Was advised to move this post from "Gamers..." board to here.

OK, real novice here, so please be patient. Have W98SE, IE6, NortonAV 2004, Spybot. Never had this happen before...went on Optimum Online Cable homepage yesterday, clicked on games, then tried loading a game and got this IE message "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. Page may not display properly" and game just won't load. I went to Tools/internet options and checked the internet security for the ActiveX, and all the settings look ok, signed version enabled, unsigned disabled, etc.

Called the cable co. and they said it is definitely the Norton antivirus live update (some new definition is causing prob.). Called Symantec and the tech had me shut everything down in MS Config/Startup that said Norton/Symantec. Then rebooted and tried game again...same message. Norton said it's not their stuff causing the problem. Could Spybot have done something? Is there a way to load something in the "Trusted Sites" thing, or does that have nothing to do with it? I am lost, and don't even know where to begin. My wife will kill me if she can't unwind with her "Pop and Drop" game. Hate to say it, but if you do have an answer, I'll prob. need step-by-step direction.

thanks in advance for any help,

John

Go into internet options->security->select the trusted sites icon->click the sites button->add the base domain name of the site where the game is, for example, I would add www.gamedomain.com. Chances are the activex games are unsigned, which is why your configuration is blocking you.

NOTE: Only do this if you trust the site, i.e. you don't suspect them of using unethical tactics to upload viruses.

Edited by CptMurphy

Thanks CptMurphy...

I just don't get why it would happen after a year with the same settings and playing the same games. Could there be some kinda cookie problem also? Do I find that base domain name by right clicking and then going to 'properties' to get the exact address?

As to why it happened, I couldn't say (something on the system changed, and you'd have to think back or go through your log of changes that you probably don't keep :) to see what actually changed). However, to add the base domain name to the trusted sites, you'd add just the domain and tld to the trusted sites list. For example, if you wanted to trust a site called "site2.somewhere.somewhereelse.microsoft.com", you could simply add "microsoft.com" to the trusted sites list.

Thanks Cluberti..

I just tried adding the address to 'Trusted Site', but the same message came up when I ckicked a game. Then I tried right-clicking and checking 'properties' on one of the games in the list and it said

Protocol: unknown protocol

Type: not available

Address: Javascript void(0)

Would this mean anything specific to the problem?

Thanks Cluberti..

I just tried adding the address to 'Trusted Site', but the same message came up when I ckicked a game. Then I tried right-clicking and checking 'properties' on one of the games in the list and it said

Protocol: unknown protocol

Type: not available

Address: Javascript void(0)

Would this mean anything specific to the problem?

What may be happening is the game is actually hosted off site, or on a different domain. For example, if I had a web site that had games in it, and the site was: www.ubergames.com, but I actually had the games on: www.uberstorage.com, adding the ubergames domain wouldn't give access to the games since they aren't on that server. Tell you what, post up the link to the game and we can take a look at it. Maybe it's a problem with the site itself.

All right, it works for me. Do this, go back into Internet Options, click the custom level button->in the reset custom settings selection box, select medium-high. Try it again.

If it doesn't work, add optonline.com, real.com, and realarcade.com in the trusted sites section.

I don't know if IE7 is out for win98 but it may help you to look into it.

cptmurphy...

Well, no dice. still get message. I have to ask because I just thought of it, but I do have a thing called 'Cookie Monster' that I run every so often. Is it possible I have erased a necessary cookie? Is it possible for activeX to be removed accidently and that is why nothing seems to work...I just don't have activeX anymore? I really don't know what I'm talking about here..just guessing. Any other ideas?

thanks for your time!

Cluberti & Cptmurphy..

It is working now! I looked at one particular MS post on the "activeX" error messages and it said it might be a problem with the Java. Went to Java and downloaded latest for my W98 SE and went back. That didn't do it, but now when I right-clicked on a game and hit 'properties' tab, instead of "no address", and "Javascript void", it listed an arcade address that I put in my "Trusted site" list and then was able to open, and play, a game.

Still have one problem, and that is there is no sound anymore on games. RealAudio, and movie sounds are OK, just not games....any ideas (not like you didn't do enough already...a thousand thanks!)

john