"Security Setting prohibits ActiveX" message..game won't

jotho

Hello all..

Real novice here. Have W98SE, IE6, NortonAV 2004, Spybot. Never had this happen before...went on Optimum Online Cable homepage today, clicked on games, then tried loading a game and got this IE message "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. Page may not display properly" and game just won't load. I went to Tools/internet options and checked the internet security for the ActiveX, and all the settings look ok, signed version enabled, unsigned disabled, etc.

Called the cable co. and they said it is definitely the Norton antivirus live update (some new definition is causing prob.). Called Symantec and the tech had me shut everything down in MS Config/Startup that said Norton/Symantec. Then rebooted and tried game again...same message. Norton said it's not their stuff causing the problem. Could Spybot have done something? Is there a way to load something in the "Trusted Sites" thing, or does that have nothing to do with it? I am lost, and don't even know where to begin. My wife will kill me if she can't unwind with her "Pop and Drop" game.

thanks in advance for any help

John

Well... I believe this topic shouldn't be in the Gamers hangout as it's rather a network/internet issue.

Anyway, yes, you should grant the site you're trying to connect "trusted site" status (go to config pannel, internet properties, security, trusted sites and add the link) and reload IE. And shut down Norton and Spybot temporarily.