How to deploy an antivirus on an AD domain?

ggtyh

I'm actually doing the final project of my networking course, and we have to deploy some antivirus using GPOs.

We're used to GPOs, we've deployed MS Office the same way, doing and .mst file to configure most of the options.

The problem is that most antivirus don't work on Windows 2k server, so we need some special AV (like Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition), and we deploy it like usual. The problem is that when the user clicks on the icon to start the software to 1st time (and by the way, install the whole software on the machine), the installer says that the user doesn't have the required administrative rights. We did the same, but logged as an administrator and it worked.

Since this is a simulation of a business with offices spread throughout Canada (and Canada is really wide) that run more than 400 computers, it's not a good idea to log on each computers as an administrator, click on the antivirus icon, and skip to the next computer.

We've tried several options (and as many softwares) and nothing worked.

My partner had an idea: make all the users member of the administrators of the domain user group, but setting their access rights with GPO on each OU. (users are in different OUs, so we'll be able to give them separate rights).

Would that idea work?

That way, all users will have the right to change the computer settings, but only some privileged users will have the right to access this menu.

Sorry for the long post, but thanx for your input.

PS: No, we don't need to reformat :)

I think the mst file can be executed in dos (from memory), so create a batch file, which logs the user in to the administrator account, executes the setup, and then logs out of the admin account.

If you place the batch file on teh server with only execute permissions and create a shortcut on the desktop that links to this file, the user will have no way of viewing the administrator password etc.

You can even make the batch file delete the shortcut link when setup has been completed.