Error with Winlogon.exe

snuppe

dear sirs,

When i start up the computer i get a error message that winlogon.exe can not start.

if anyone knows how i could create a solution for this problem it would be great.

Here is the info from browser.

szAppName : winlogon.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : unknown

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 3bf22d89

thanks in advance!

/Snuppe

Edited by snuppe

it could possibly be a virus, try this:

1. do you have any antivirus software installed?

if you do update its definitions and run a full system virus scan, if you don't have one there is a good free one called Avast! Antivirus

2. press Ctrl, Alt and Delete and bring up the task manager, navigate to the processes tab a check to see if there is a item in the list called Winlogon.exe or winlogon.exe

3. If the real winlogon.exe file has crashed then check the following locations and see if they cause any errors or behave strangely:

log out of your account and try logging back in

try running the windows activation program under Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Activate Windows

(Both these places are powered by winlogon.exe)

Please Report Back Your Findings

it could possibly be a virus, try this:

1. do you have any antivirus software installed?

if you do update its definitions and run a full system virus scan, if you don't have one there is a good free one called Avast! Antivirus

2. press Ctrl, Alt and Delete and bring up the task manager, navigate to the processes tab a check to see if there is a item in the list called Winlogon.exe or winlogon.exe

1. I dont have any antivirus-programs, because of all troubles they created :-)

(atleast not that i am aware of)

2. in taskmanager "winlogon.exe" is running.

3. If the real winlogon.exe file has crashed then check the following locations and see if they cause any errors or behave strangely:

log out of your account and try logging back in

try running the windows activation program under Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Activate Windows

(Both these places are powered by winlogon.exe)

Please Report Back Your Findings

3. I treid to do as you said by activating windows and it said windows is already installed.

Thank you very much, for trying to help me.

I will try to install the above mentioned progam for antivirus.

/Robert

Extract the original Winlogon.exe from your XP disk and overwrite the current file.

This will fix it if it was just a random corruption (but then you should check your hard drive for any other symptoms of failure).