Opening Ports Manually

Drazick

Hello.

I have a problem with the firewall.

If I open a specific port (let's say 6346) both UDP and TCP it won't work.

Yet, if I unblock the program which uses those ports (Shareaza) when I run it the ports are opened.

Why? Why can't I just leave them open?

Thanks.

If you've opened the ports, you should see them in a netstat -an on your IP address (probably in the istening state). If they're listed as open there (listening or established), then the firewall did it's job and opened the ports. If that is the case, it's likely that the application is using more than just those ports, or it uses those ports to connect and then dynamically acquires and uses other ports (which is highly possible). It's always better to exempt an .exe than just ports, mainly for this reason.

Check your other post guy.

Will you try it by yourself, if you open specific port and try the mentioned test you will get a positive result, from some reason I don't...

Thanks.

I didn't get a positive result, but my ISP stealths the ports, as does my router and my firewall.

Check your other post guy.

Will you try it by yourself, if you open specific port and try the mentioned test you will get a positive result, from some reason I don't...

Thanks.

I didn't get a positive result, but my ISP stealths the ports, as does my router and my firewall.

What's the meaning of stealth?

Let's say I wanted to have a mail server and needed to open a certain ports. Now I don;t use them, I'm waiting for someone from outside to connect me (just like the connection test) and he will be blocked... Is that right?

Thanks for the patience.

Most popular servers such SMTP, HTTP and POP are blocked by ISPs on standard ports.

As for your shareaza problem, are you behind a router?

No, just ADSL modem with PPPOE.

So XP firewall is exclusive.

The software uses only 6346 port.

regardless to the software, let's say I define 6346 to be open.

I go to this site:

http://jlh.no-ip.org/connectiontest/

check if it's open and get a negative result.

Why?

Thanks.

Open a command prompt and telnet to your machine on port 6346 - do you connect to yourself? Also be aware that you need a program actually listening on that port to get the port opened. Meaning if Shareza is the only program using the port, it needs to be running (and listening) for the port to be opened. Another reason why opening PROGRAMS rather than PORTS is a good idea. If there's no backing program, the firewall doesn't open the port for listening.