Problems and questions!

hector

Hi chaps,

I've successfully created my first bootable XP SP2 nLite DVD. It's great. I've got quetions, though!! hahaha woo lol.

1) Will most computers accept a boot DVD (vs a boot CD)? Is it true to say that if it can boot from CD, and the drive is a DVD drive, it will be able to boot from DVD?

2) I seem to have managed to create one coaster (my most recent DVD): when I try to boot from it, I get 'checking hardware configuration' but then it doesn't move beyond the blue screen for Windows setup, where normally you'd be asked about F6 for RAID etc. Any ideas?

Loves from Barbados,

H

Edited by hector

Good news - of sorts!

Now NONE of my XP discs load as normal, even the original disc I used as my nLite source which has worked flawlessly time and time again!

Hmmm...guess I need to erase everything on the drive and start again! If anyone has any insight as to how this could happen I'd be interested to hear about it, because it sounds like something on the HDD is messing with the installation of Windows.

Hector's solved it my babies:

I had a USB stick plugged in. Only noticed when it showed up as a device in gParted.

As for why that would cause Windows to hang, I don't know. ey??!?!?!!?

Usually usb which is looked at like a HD to the bios will try to boot first over a cd or dvd. I've seen that happen. However your getting into setup and then it freezes well thats easy. Thats windows checking the usb to see if it can install on that usb. Also the issue with the HD is that you need to format. Most likely windows sees an old install and is checking it to repair.