Are there limits for folder names in a MultiBoot DVD?

gugutz

I want to know that cause if there is not, i could rename the folder to something i would find better. For instance, i use 3 differents types of install for XP, one personal, one for my girlfriend, one for customers.

So i could rename PRO1 folder, to, let´s say, XPPersonal

Is it possible?

Personally I use a key to help me keep them all straight. I know in Gosh's method, she renames the Install folder "XPhome" and such, but leaves the boot folders 4 capital letters. I think this is because of the need to hex edit, but I am by no means an expert. Since my CD follows Gosh's method, I stuck with it and just make all my folders 4 letters.

Here is my key that I use:

First			  Second				Third			 Fourth
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A=ATTENDED P=BOOT FOLDER P=PRO R=RETAIL
U=UNATTENDED B=INSTALL FOLDER H=HOME O=OEM
X=ORIGINAL M=MCE C=CORPORATE

So, for example, my Unattended XP Home OEM folder is called "UPHO"

i use that too.

but in cdshell menu options.

i would like to separate the boot folders naming them with names i would find them easier in the root folder.

but since you mentioned that it has to be hex edited, i remembered now that maybe it isn´t possible...

what do you mean, kof?

what is a modular disc?

where can i get info for it?

All I meant was, I like everything for each OS in one folder. This isn't always do-able though if you have different install options for the same OS!

For XP/2K instead of having a boot folder, a folder in a setup folder and a bootsector at the root of the disc. I have one folder at the root of the disc that contains everything.

Follow Flyakites guide, create a boot folder then copy the I386 folder and tags inside that folder then edit txtsetup.sif to look inside the boot folder...

SetupSourcePath = "\PRO1\"

... instead of a setup folder (which you don't need anymore).

SetupSourcePath = "\SETUP\XP\Professional\"

I'm not saying my method is better, it just suits my needs doing it this way!

Back to your original question though.

You have to have a boot folder with a four character name (PRO1, PRO2 etc) for each install option (attended, unattended etc) at the root of the disc (I only have one option, unattended).

This has really been dictated to you by setupldr.bin since you replace any instance of "I386" for your folder name. Any more characters and you corrupt the file!

As far as your setup source files go, you can have them anywhere on the disc. You just need to update txtsetup.sif of there location. They must, however, be inside an "I386" folder followed by the tag files.

Example of folder structure

[PRO1]
[PRO2]
[MY]
[SOURCE]
[FOLDER]
[I386]
WIN51IP.SP2
WIN51
WIN51IP

Example of txtsetup.sif

SetupSourcePath = "\MY\SOURCE\FOLDER\"