anyway to install vista on 384mb ram

trickytwista

a friend of mine was able to install it on 384 (RC2..)

anyways, why would u want to install it on 384mb ram? it's highly unusable.. 512mb is still not enough to enjoy it properly.. i mean, running lots of apps, heavy apps, or games on it..

RTM setup checks the amount of RAM in the machine. If it's less than 512MB, it won't install - the check fails, it says so, and you don't continue. However, you CAN remove memory once installed to actually run Vista on a machine with less than 512MB of RAM, but you'll not be able to actually install Vista on said machine until you have 512MB of RAM installed during setup.

I have the same problem, 256 ram on my pc. Currently i am runing vista rtm, it works great, had to borrow from my friend 512 ram to install it. I think the problem lies in some dll file during vista installation, probably autorun.dll on vista install cd. Could anyone post a vista beta, vista rc1 or vista rc2 autorun.dll because they allow you to install it on 256 ram machine. At least i think they do.

a highly stripped-down version will be highly unusable though.. in a matter of functionality..
My XP (and that of many others) is highly stripped down and it does what I need it to... with Vista there are even more features that most users don't use or even have no knowledge of and will never use, so the gains may be higher.