computer shutdown need help

bijitha

So the computer just shuts right off, without the "Windows is shutting down" or a "System Shutdown" box with a timer counting down? If it's doing neither of those then it's very likely a hardware problem, though viruses can do this too. You mentioned trying to copy a copy-protected CD, what was it?

As for opening text/INI files, sounds like notepad.exe is corrupt.

You mentioned trying to copy a copy-protected CD, what was it?
Was it a Sony? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Copy_Protection

i got one cd ( 3d max tutorials ) on this cover written " do not try to copy this cd, is copy protected cd" i put this cd drive and select all files and copy to hard disk , suddenly all runnig programs close automaticaly and system shutdown. without any message . any way now i format windows, now noproblems.

After you formatted the problems have disappeared?

It sounds like a virus, what virus software you using if any, and is it up-to-date... also had you ran a scan recently?

yes now no problems, Mc afee, avg, symantec antivirus corporate edition and updated, and scaned many times.

yes now no problems, Mc afee, avg, symantec antivirus corporate edition and updated, and scaned many times.

You have 3 anti-virus programs installed?! None of those should be installed. McAfee and Symantec are bloated and are more problematic for your system than anything else and don't do the best job at actually removing the virus. AVG has too low a detection rate and arguably a horrible GUI. :P

I suggest you use Kaspersky or NOD32. AV-Comparatives

You have 3 anti-virus programs installed?! None of those should be installed. McAfee and Symantec are bloated and are more problematic for your system than anything else and don't do the best job at actually removing the virus. AVG has too low a detection rate and arguably a horrible GUI. :P

I suggest you use Kaspersky or NOD32. AV-Comparatives

thanks, i installed these progrms one by one and i cant find any virus

yes

[autorun]

open=Cat.exe

icon=cat.ico

readme

**********WARNING********

Do not try to copy the tutorials to hard disk or CD. This package is completely copy-protected. We are not responsible for the software and hardware problems due to your attempt to copy the tutorial CDs.

HOW TO USE

Step-1: From home page click (single click only) "Tutorial" and then "Chapter"

(wait for few seconds)

Step-2: When the Tutorial starts press "Alt + Enter" to view in full screen

Step-3: To do practical press "Ctrl + P" (Win XP), "Space bar" (Win 98) to pause and

"Alt + Enter" to restore and then minimize the Tutorial.

Step-4: Exit the other pages and do practical on your computer

Step-5: Again maximize the tutorial, press "Alt + Enter" then "Ctrl + P" and continue the same

For Better Performance:

1. Uninstall Winamp from your computer

2. Keep the Monitor resolution 800 by 600 pixels

Do not try to copy the tutorials to hard disk or CD. This package is completely copy-protected. We are not responsible for the software and hardware problems due to your attempt to copy the tutorial CDs.
Wow, what a b*tchy software...

Now you know why keeping autorun disabled is a good thing, as if the Sony rootkit scare wasn't enough.

As an aside, in addition to copyright laws, there are laws against software written with the intent of doing damage to user's data or hardware. The author of that program could get into big trouble for this...

Edited by LLXX