Can't start XP....Again!!!

Rick

Hey...I tried to do an XP repair on my current version of XP and now when I try to boot it up...I get a Hardware_Not_Less_or_Equal error with no stop address besides all zero's. I have tried disabling everything and I have even flashed my bios to try to get compatibility. Any suggestions before I have to reinstall XP?

Rick:rolleyes:

Yeah...I figured you would have to weigh in! Seriously, I have never had this great experience on XP like everyone else...always getting the BSOD's!!! I know it is because I built my own computer but I tell you...I think I am going back to Win98se...there's too much trouble when you try to repair XP!!!

Rick:assshake

Win2K is even worse! Something about what I have and the compatibility on Win2K and XP is really screwy and the only thing tha I can figure is that either it is one of my onboard drivers or it is my ATI card. They are both great OS's...I have used them on other computers without a flaw but when I built this one...let the probs. begin! Arggghhh!

Rick:hohum

Barnettrp: I would re-build before I ever went back to Win 98. I was running XP flawlessly on AMDk6-2 400 and Soyo 5EMA+ with a VIA 133 chipset.....

I just re-built this one and re-installed XP, no problems it runs flawlessly. I have used all of the M$ drivers except during a problem that I created( messing with TweakUI), I installed Creatives latest SB drivers w/ no ill effects.

ECS K7S5A w/ SIS735chipset (inexpensive and has built-in LAN)

Enlight 7237 case

AMD Athlon XP 1500+ (Running at 133/133 w/ no probs)

256 mb DDR

SB Live (disabled on board sound)

Diamond Graphics Card-AGP(basic)

IBM 10 gig HDD

Yamaha CRW 8824E CD-RW

Generic CD-Rom 45x

Zip 100 IDE

Teac FDD

ECS board was used due to reading about so many problems with VIA chipsets (266). The SIS chipset was a viable alternative. Also this board was very well priced.... ~$60. I wouldn't recommend overclocking this setup. You can read lots about ECS board here (keep in mind, overclockers forum)

h**p://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001477

What currency are u talking jrichard326???

interested in hooking myself up a second puter and looking at AMD boards....how does it stack up against an Asus board for example

and are these Athlon XPs as good as they claim only run Pentiums??

I was talking US currency, I bought at multiwave. The price is slightly better at newegg.com.

h**p://direct.mwave.com/mwave/Index.hmx?UID=&CID=&Back=%url-%20encode

Sorry, I have no experience with Asus or Intel products. I like the AMD's and this is my third one. The Athlon XP (Palomino) runs cooler than the Thunderbirds. I would definitely get an AMD rated PSU. You can check AMD website for approved power supply units. The ECS board got very good reviews at tomshardware.com and other tech sites. There are links from the forum on my previous post.

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt is also a good source of information and help.

Barnettrp --- have you checked your DIMMS - memory stick are supposed to be very finnicky (?) is XP. I have heard of systems that worked just fine under 98 and 2K - but refused to behave under XP until the memory was changed out. Might be cheaper than building a whole system.

LS