Remove "Click here to enable Instant Search"

jcarle

If you're like me and you hate desktop search applications, you've installed Office 2007 and you keep getting nagged in Outlook to install Windows Desktop Search with an annoying "Click here to enable Instant Search" tooltip, turning it off is easy.

In Outlook 2007, go to Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced Options and remove the check for "Show prompts to enable Instant Search".

More information about instant search

• 1 year later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When this is the first item returned by a Google search for "click here to enable instant search", you have to know just how badly hated the feature must be! :thumbup

Thanks for the info!

I no longer have to be wary of accidentally clicking on the prompt -- I allowed Instant Search to be installed when our workplace was upgraded to Office 2007, and regretted it within a matter of days; I uninstalled it but was frustrated by the prompt remaining in Outlook -- thanks again for showing me how to get rid of it!

Instant Serach is such a resource hog, and I found the results less useful than the old style folder search (which I was more than happy to return to).

Best regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you, all! This posting is immensely gratifying.

>rob.lee

>I found the results less useful than the old style folder search (which I was more than happy to return to).

Now that's an interesting aside. I also removed Windows Search due to the immense gobs of overhead and the lack of granular control over what got indexed. But I didn't see a means for reinstating the old style folder search, so I ended up installing Xobni instead.

How do I enable the old folder search?

That was sufficient for me too. I'd really like to eliminate these indexers that draw my resources away from *my* active tasks and work so as to enable the potential for some future activity that I may or may not actually need. They steal the "personal" from my PC, thinking that they obviously know what I need to have to enable my work activity better than I do. :-)

Thanks!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

>rob.lee

>I found the results less useful than the old style folder search (which I was more than happy to return to).

Now that's an interesting aside. I also removed Windows Search due to the immense gobs of overhead and the lack of granular control over what got indexed. But I didn't see a means for reinstating the old style folder search, so I ended up installing Xobni instead.

That was sufficient for me too. I'd really like to eliminate these indexers that draw my resources away from *my* active tasks and work so as to enable the potential for some future activity that I may or may not actually need. They steal the "personal" from my PC, thinking that they obviously know what I need to have to enable my work activity better than I do. :-)

Thanks!

Mark

There are several methods to bring up the Search Companion:

pressing the Windows key + F

while in Windows Explorer, you can either press Ctrl+E or click on View > Explorer Bar > Search

click Start > Search

You can click on Start > Search > Change Preferences to see whether the Indexing Service is used

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I read this threat and I think that a lot of people are tired of the Outlook Search.

I use the Outlook-Searchtool Lookeen.

This tool costs 39.80$ and they have a 14-Day-Trial Version. I think this money less if you compare the stress and wasted time with Outlook search to this great tool.

So if someone is interested and tired of Outlooks Instant Search, take a look on Lookeen.

• 5 months later...

>rob.lee

Thanks!

Mark

One of the best resources I found for searching was Lookout for Outlook 1.3. Not only does it search email but any folder you choose to index. It has a very small footprint and does not nag. Outlook 2007 broke it until some good folks created a fix. Lookout for Outlook can be downloaded from Major Geeks website and the fix for Outlook 2007 can be found here: http://www.belshe.com/2007/12/page/2/. Great program and lightning fast searches.

Jeff

Yes this worked just fine, however, in playing around with the feature itself, it looks as if it can perform searches in the entire system without the indexing being turned on.

Question: Does 'Instant Search' function without the bulky indexing service enabled?

Edited by ValueAdd

• 1 month later...

>rob.lee

Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

Like yourself I have always liked the simple search in old XP. Before MS got index happy. Anyway in Win7 I have removed search but the framework of it is still there. It works in explorer and functions like XP's search did almost. I dont really care about it as long as I can do date and file size searches. I use everything search for the rest as its insanely fast. Anyway outlook 2007 breaks the explorer bar search and completely removes it from the UI. It took me a while to track down what part of Office 2k7 was doing it. I should have known it would be outlook. If you keep outlook the search stays.. If you remove outlook the search goes.

Anyway I hate outlook and dont use it. I will keep it for now till I find out a way to re-enable the search in explorer without having outlook installed. It must register a DLL or make a reg entry or something to keep to remove the search. I just dont know what it is. There is no longer outlook express so I'm not sure why this happens.

If anyone has a clue. Let me know.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I too hate all these silly search features when there's all ready plenty of ways to do something. I was a fan of Windows 3.1 because you didn't have 6 or more frivolous ways to do the same thing.

But that bar was driving me nutz and now I found this site.

I too signed up just to say THANK YOU!

And I think I will like this forum, I saw several things that peaked my interest on here.

Thanks again,

ComputerJunkie