Cannot Install A Couple Of Unofficial 98se Fixes

Arrow

These for example

HHUPD.EXE

Q920670.EXE

for 98se with i ex 6.0 sp1

I see the install progress bar complete then the pc suddenly and quickly shuts down and reboots

without any prompt

Can't find a trace of them with a system search or in add/remove as with other fixes - just an old HHUPD form 2002

Edited by Arrow

Well, not al unofficial updates have a fancy installer that tell's you what is happening :) What you describe is not unusual and the updates are probably installed correct. You could unpack the installers with 7-zip or something like it and check the fileversions.

Btw, there is a sticky topic regarding Win98/Me updates patches and hotfixes.

From unzipping them and checking file versions I can see that HHUPD.EXE hasn't installed and Q920670.EXE has.

Can you report which version of HHCTRL.OCX is currently installed on your machine?

Edited by soporific

I have modified HHUPD.EXE INF to install all files no matter which other versions [even newer] you might have.

If you happen to have a newer version, it is from one of the 2000/XP/2003 updates, but you should have the files from HHUPD.EXE, because they are meant specifically for Win9x/ME OSes.

I have also added a "finished install" message:

"Install completed. You must reboot for this Update to take effect."

Your computer will reboot when you click the OK button.

IMHO:

Personally, I like it better when it reboots automatically without any extra prompts/dialog boxes to click.

The text which appears when you first start HHUPD.EXE now lists all files that will be installed [when you click the Yes button] with locations and version builds.

So please download the updated file [710 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

and try it out.

HTH

My version: 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)

hotfix version: 5.2.3790.558 (srv03_gdr.060711-0046)

version 5.2.3790.1830 & higher of the HHCTRL.OCX file do NOT work correctly under Win98/ME and could break some functions with Win98's CHM Help files. use 5.2.3790.558 of HHCTRL.OCX instead to ensure the Win98 CHM Help files work correctly on your machine.