MS/Windows update issue

Stik62

My desktop has recently started to fail on installations from MS/Windows update. This also includes installing a downloaded and saved copy of IE7. I can still install other software. The PC is a workstation in a domain and I have set in Group Policy to auto update and it fails. When i manually update (as an Admin) it hangs at the "Initializing Installation" for a couple minutes then reports that the installation was unsuccessful and requests a reboot to complete the install but nothing happens. I dont know where to go from here short of a windows repair or reinstall. No new software installed however I did remove it from a domain and rejoined it but I dont think that should have any impact on updates? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input Tarun. Unfortunately Dial-a fix did not correct the problem after running all the fixes but it did clear the update history and now it wont install windows installer updates (fails as other updates) I have also tried a windows repair but i dont think it repaired properly because all the MS SP's and updates are still present and i have not seen them remain after previous repairs. Cluberti, I'll give the the link you sent a shot (DCOM) and see what happens.