IE7 Installs but not fully

This is how I installed the updates that (damned) won't install through svcpack.inf (my favorite).

cmdow @ /HID

@Echo OFF

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Update Windows Media" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\i386\SVCPACK\KB917734.exe /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Internet Explorer 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\IE7\IE7.exe /passive /update-no /norestart" /f

So it installs itself fine. But the first time i get into windows internet explorer 6 is still there. When starting ie it's still version 6. Not that I don't mind, cause on a reboot (I log on once automatic) internet explorer 7 does work en want's to configure itself. The only thing that sucks is that quick launch and start > programs > display's the icon of internet explorer 6.

I like some help with that.

I also noticed by going to the \Software\IE7\IE7.exe /? I get an option list of install switches. I'm just saying this because i do not hear often this advice to people on switches. My point is that I still have to test the /quiet mode and without the /update-no switch. And by the way I got ie7.exe out of the automatic updates folders of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. You get about a 30 seconds chance to grab the file.

Different strokes for different folks, but why not download the full file directly from Microsoft and then grab a copy of IEAK 7 as a compliment? Run the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard and you have your unattended installer. Works great for me.

• 2 months later...

I found a similar problem. After I install, I get the IE7 icon on the desktop, but it is still the IE6 icon in the Quick Launch. I found that this only occurs for the first user. Subsequent users get an IE7 icon.

Also, on first launch, it prompts me to download IE7 as an upgrade. If I close it, then it never asks again.