UNIProccess to MultiProccessor Sysprep

hi all

i am responsibale to over 7000 PC in my company

i am using one image for all of my PC/Laptops using sysprep

now, we got a new pc hardware with Dual Core Cpu (Intel)

i can't make the sysprep works

i am building the base image on the Dual Core machine and when i reboot the machine on a single core machine its hang on MUP.SYS

i am using the folowing sysprep enteies

[unattended]

Driversigningpolicy=Ignore

InstallFilesPath=c:\sysprep\i386

OemPreinstall=yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

UnattendSwitch=Yes

KeepPageFile=no

UpdateInstalledDrivers=yes

UpdateUPHAL = "ACPIAPIC_UP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf"

it does not work

please help

Edited by hysel

The only suggestion I can give is that there is another incompatibility besides the MP - UP difference. I know that some manufacturers use custom hal.dll files for their pc's.

I suggest you compare the hal from the uniprocessor pc to the hal, that is provided via the hal.inf in the sysprep setup.

Besides, this approach (building an image on a dualcore pc, and deploying it on a uniprocessor pc) isn't the most 'riskavoiding' if I may suggest.

A uniprocessor installation will work on a dual processor pc (with degraded performance, that is..) but most buisiness applications don't even notice the second processor. It's just like building an sysprep image on a SCSI system, for deployment on IDE based systems. It _can_ be done, but it's not the easy road..

We always use the same reference pc (in our case : a laptop) to (re)build the image, to avoid incompatibities when redeploying a new version of the same image to a pc with an older version of that image. If that image needs adaptation, then the adaptations are made on the basis of that particular image.

My suggestion is, keep on building the image on a uniprocessor pc, and adapt that image for use on a multicore pc, not the other way 'round.

Good luck.

thanks

i will try the two sujestions and come back to you

its a big problem, ithink i might even consider oppening a premier incident in microsoft

Edited by hysel

• 3 weeks later...

well.... i got it :thumbup:thumbup

ok here how you do it

1) make a base image on a Dual Core machine

2) add these lines to your sysprep.ini

[unattended]

UpdateUPHAL="APCIAPIC_UP,%windir%\Driver Cache\i386\halaacpi.dll"

UpdateHAL="ACPIAPICMP,%WINDIR%\Driver Cache\i386\halmacpi.dll"

3) reboot the machine and thats it

on a dual cor emachine you will see two CPU on task manager and one CPU on a single core machines

spread this around for testing

thanks alot for the support

Edited by hysel

I do much the same except my machine(s) do not hang, they work for the most part but lock up when I disconnect the power supply from the laptop, the only other thing I noticed was that they do not show the duo core processors in the task manager, and oddly enough the control panel will not change from the default XP display to the classic display.

I've tried to use the uni processor build and have much the same problem, everything was OK for a while (first 2 days) until users starting complaining about the power issue with laptops.

Either way I'm trying your methiod today and will also let you know.

Regards

[unattended]UpdateUPHAL="APCIAPIC_UP,%windir%\Driver Cache\i386\halaacpi.dll"

does you updatehal line not have the underscore on purpose?

the docs show: updateHAL="ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\....."

[unattended]

Make change the location to where your own installation has the hal dll's.

Make sure also that before you reboot that you change or make sure that when you go into

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Expand "Computer" > Make sure that it says ACPI Multiprocessor/Uniprocessor.

If you are imaging from a MultiProcessor system keep the above Unattended - Update order.

If you are imaging from a UniProcessor reverse the Unattended - Update order.

[unattended]

does you updatehal line not have the underscore on purpose?

the docs show: updateHAL="ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\....."

i don't remember why, but i think i took it from some sort of article on the web

it still worked fine :thumbup

and best part is that i can use the same images on an old P3 based computer with no problems :thumbup

I do much the same except my machine(s) do not hang, they work for the most part but lock up when I disconnect the power supply from the laptop, the only other thing I noticed was that they do not show the duo core processors in the task manager, and oddly enough the control panel will not change from the default XP display to the classic display.

I've tried to use the uni processor build and have much the same problem, everything was OK for a while (first 2 days) until users starting complaining about the power issue with laptops.

Either way I'm trying your methiod today and will also let you know.

Regards

i think i know how to solve your problem

but i need to know some things:

1) what is the model of your laptop

2) what is the NIC manufacture and model

[unattended]

Make change the location to where your own installation has the hal dll's.

Make sure also that before you reboot that you change or make sure that when you go into

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Expand "Computer" > Make sure that it says ACPI Multiprocessor/Uniprocessor.

If you are imaging from a MultiProcessor system keep the above Unattended - Update order.

If you are imaging from a UniProcessor reverse the Unattended - Update order.

thanks, i totaly forgot to mention it :thumbup

Edited by hysel

Update - Tried both methods - neither worked for me. I'm building the unattend XP on an IBM T60 Model 2007CTO it has a Intel Duo Centrino chipset with an Intel integrated NIC. I'm starting over from XP SP1 today, the machines also have SATA drives, which isn't a problem since I have it booting from the DVD and installing everything works great. The clean build does not install the Multi Processor. I'm beginning to doubt myself and rebuilding our XP disk from scratch, maybe I lost a file or 2 along the way.

Update - Tried both methods - neither worked for me. I'm building the unattend XP on an IBM T60 Model 2007CTO it has a Intel Duo Centrino chipset with an Intel integrated NIC. I'm starting over from XP SP1 today, the machines also have SATA drives, which isn't a problem since I have it booting from the DVD and installing everything works great. The clean build does not install the Multi Processor. I'm beginning to doubt myself and rebuilding our XP disk from scratch, maybe I lost a file or 2 along the way.

I had the same problem with my T60 Based laptops (the computer hangs after you take out the charger)

I fixed it by downloading the latest NIC drivers from Intel directly - that solve the problem

I am using SP2 and Sysprep 2.0 so I don't know how it will work on SP1

Second, T60 come with high definition Audio Drivers that require KB888111 from MS and that require SP2

There is a SP1 version but I didn't test it.

So try to use Sysprep 2.0 in your SP1 and try Again

good luck

Very important!!!

I forgot to mention that you have to copy the files halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll to your C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 folder

Sorry I didn't mention that before but this step Is crucial :blushing:

I had the same problem with my T60 Based laptops (the computer hangs after you take out the charger)

I fixed it by downloading the latest NIC drivers from Intel directly - that solve the problem

I am using SP2 and Sysprep 2.0 so I don't know how it will work on SP1

Second, T60 come with high definition Audio Drivers that require KB888111 from MS and that require SP2

There is a SP1 version but I didn't test it.

So try to use Sysprep 2.0 in your SP1 and try Again

good luck

Also, try building the image on a UniProccessor machine

• 4 months later...
[unattended]

Very important!!!

I forgot to mention that you have to copy the files halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll to your C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 folder

Sorry I didn't mention that before but this step Is crucial

Sorry, I know this is old but I just had a quick question.

I noticed your sysprep line says halaacpi.dll but then you say to copy the halacpi.dll file to the C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 folder. Is this correct, or should the sysprep line and file match? If they should match, which is correct, halacpi.dll or halaacpi.dll?

Thanks!