Remove File protection

Sereby

hi

is it anyway possible to remove the file and folder protections?

for example when i try to goto into the local settings folder to see into the cache folder or whatever it says me that the access is denied! but thats almost everywhere :(

its the same when i mount the install.wim with imagex there are the same permissions :(

i hope anybody can help me and say how to disable this mass protection

Sereby

More than likely its the system that owns the items your trying to change so you will need to take ownership. You can take ownership of a folder with "takeown" command line tool. Use takeown /? in an admin CMD prompt to see full help. You will then be able to change the permissions.

yes i enabled it but with it its still not working.. its a global protection
Edited by Spooky

Wait a second...what particular folders are you trying to access?

Theres no such thing as a global protection in Vista.

BTW, takeown will let you grab ownership of any folder.

thanks for info

but that doesnt help :( i still cant acress these folders after trying to ste the permissions..

and i cannot re-make the install.wim because it says acess denied (these protected folders)

Edited by Spooky

for example try to acess "local settings" folder of all users

or mount with imagex the install.wim image and try to copy it or try to re-pack it from the mounted folder.. all impossible because of these **** protected folders

Ahhh..OK I see what your trying to do now. I don't have the exact solution for you, but i can tell you that you can't manipulate the install.wim in the way you want to (or at least the way I think your trying to do it), you can however do it I think by rebuilding it with the winPE methods described in the help files for winPE 2.0. I'd also be careful not to replace the existing .wim, save it somewhere just in case.

for example try to acess "local settings" folder of all users

or mount with imagex the install.wim image and try to copy it or try to re-pack it from the mounted folder.. all impossible because of these **** protected folders

Edited by Spooky

The only two imagex options to use /compress with, are /capture and /export. Capture does not make sense in your case. You will use it to pack a Master installation into an image.

/export is to "copy" a subimage from one .wim file to an other.

/compress uses maximum, fast, none

imagex /export D:\VistaDVD\sources\install.wim 1 D:\MyImages\destination.wim /compress maximum

WSIM help says you would need to run /export from WinPE. And source and destination must use the same compress setting. Haven't tried out yet and don't know how to figure out the compress level of an image you didn't captured by yourself. So you would need to try n error.

Martin

• 1 month later...