Extracting the Vista Hotfixes

Hi

i was not able to find a solution for that and hope anybody here can help me with that:

how to extract the new Windows Vista hotfixes (*.msu)?

in Windows Vista is the Update agent the app. "wusa" but the help shows that there is no switch for extracting the hotfixes :(

when i rename the *.msu to *.exe and extract it with winrar it shows me 2 .cab files:

1. KB*.CAB

2. WSUSSCAN.cab

and one file called pkgProperties.txt

in these KB*.cab files should be the new fixed files but if i view or extract it it shows only numbered files (1,2,3 ...) no one of them has a versionnumber or anything else. if i look into them with notepad they show me something like this:

PA30?ñç?[ÒÆø À@??B @???{ÎÐôÇFÂqT??P# ?f

and this PA* is the same when i extract Windows Xp hotfixes with winrar it looks like this:

filename:_sfx_0000._p

content:

PA19 à€   ˜MC \`ˆ`%¬

so its still not correctly extracted.

does anybody have a solution to extract them correctly?

Sereby

yeah cool i got it by myself :)

to extract the Updates you have to first have the .cab file extreacted out of the msu files (explained above) and when you have them you need the following files from the windows AIK:

Dpx.dll

msdelta.dll

Expand.exe

to extract the fixes just use a commandline:

Expand.exe KB925029.cab -F:* "destinationdir"

• 2 months later...
I noticed on installation of the OS the interface shows "Installing updates" can anyone elaborate on that?

If there's a live internet connection then Vista has the ability to update it's source on the fly. There are some settings in the WSIM to control this.

Also, from observation, I believe it's at this point Vista will search any driverpaths specified and add what it finds to it's own driver store.

Jamie