Vista just doesn't boot...

jason_guy13

[rant]

Okay... I downloaded the RC1 of Windows Vista and got a friend to burn it to a DVD... I come home and wait like 4 hours for it to install, but it finally does... then it comes to the 'Please wait a moment......................................" bit, then it restarts... It comes up with a black screen, then the mouse and 'Windows Vista RC1 Build whatever' comes up... then nothing... I wait about 10 seconds and it just resets... I try this a few times but same thing happens... So I try it on 'Last known good config' and that doesn't work... I try it in safe mode and that doesn't work... so I had to rollback to XP...

And yes, I tried to Upgrade Advisor and all is good there...

So what happened? Can it be fixed?? WHY did it happen? Would having 'Vista Transformation Pack' installed have ANYTHING to do with it?

:realmad:

[/rant]

Lol sorry but it really annoyed me... I hope someone can help me :)

Your doing an upgrade - right?

I'm not sure what the 'Vista Transformation Pack' is actually doing in relation to your problem as I don't use those things, but i'm familiar with the 'Vista Transformation Pack' and can see the possibility where there may be some adverse interaction in an upgrade sceinario. Try removing it.

The telling clue here may be where you said "I come home and wait like 4 hours for it to install, but it finally does". Its possible that you got a bad burn for the CD. Try re-burning it at 2x then try the upgrade. Sometimes, and its been pointed out by MS during the Vista beta, burning the .iso at a high speed can produce a CD that takes a long time to install. It seems to depend on the type of burner and the quality of the media used also sometimes, certain burners seem to work great for everything but burining the Vista .iso at high speed. A bad burn can also cause the other issues you mentioned.

Also, i've heard that some doing upgrades over XP - it took a long time to install because the hard drive it was installing to was almost full, but I personally haven't experienced that myself so I can't vouch for its validity.

You said your using RC1, do you have an older processor, older then 2004 time frame? RC1 seemed to have a problem with some processors made in that time frame and certain chipsets, especially AMD, but this is a very remote possibility.

Overall, to begin with, I think it might be a good idea to rule out bad media and a bad burn by re-burning while ensuring the media is of good quality.

As with any MS OS, the best and favored method is a clean install, give a clean install a whirl.

Edited by Spooky