Ghosting Windows Vista.... [Solved]

Nakatomi2010

So, I'm curently doing a hardware upgrade on my computer, adding a second 80GB hard drive to it to create a RAID 0 array, the process I'm using is as follows...

Connect a 80GB or higher drive to the machine and ghost my current 80 to that one.

Disconnect the drive I made an image to and reconnect the 80GB drive I'm creating the array with and turn on the array.

Connect image drive to the machine and reghost the data back into the array....

Now, I DO understand I could run into a whole host of issue moving data from a single drive into a stripped array, but I want to try it and see what happens..

Here's my problem, everytime I try to clone Vista to another drive (I'm at a computer store so I've got alot on hand), Vista comes back and says its damaged and needs to be repaired... I was wondering if other people have run into this problem, or if maybe its my SATA ports giving me my issues...

I've tried running Ghost off a floppy, and off my PE, and neither works properly... Thoughts?

Edit: See below to see resolution

Edited by Nakatomi2010

ghost won't work for vista, doesn't copy the boot manager correctly (i believe maybe someone else can shed more light on it) if you can download the BDD 2007, it has the Windows Automated installation Kit as part of it. You can use a tool called Ximage to copy the drive, that may work better for you. for some reason i thought i remebered that the boot manager and repository were tied to the HD that vista installed on hence why ghosting without sysprepping the image wouldn't work. but i can't remeber where i read it, or if just made it up :)

Ghost has an "exact" bit-for-bit copying mode. Try that.

In "normal" mode Ghost doesn't actually do a proper image - it just takes the essentials of the filesystem, compresses those sectors, and puts those in the "image" instead.

I'm using the old Ghost 2003 version, so it's the DOS based variant... I went into the Options section and forced it to do a sector by sector copy right down to the boot tracks and I got nothing.... Still not bootable....

Tricky thing is that I'm at work and only have a 32bit version of Vista RC2 here, and the machine is Vista 64, so I need to wait till I get home to use my Vista 64 DVD to see if the repair option this thing is telling me to try will work... Boss is going to let me borrow a hard drive tonight, so worse scenario I get a clean install of Vista RC2, which would probably be best since it used to be Build 5536, then 5600, then 5724, and now 5744....

Also, Ghost said the file system was NTFS/HPFS, which I've never seen it say before, so I'm sure that's part of the problem...

Other suggestions on cloning software are welcome of course.....

I have ghosted Windows Vista properly using the DOS based version of ghost....

1. Conduct the ghost operation cloning one drive to the other
  2. Disconnect old drive and get your new boot settings properly...
  3. Put Windows Vista disc in your DVD and boot off the disc into the vista PE setup
  4. After selecting your language settings on the lower left click on "Repair your computer"
  5. It should just sit there for a few moments realizing that your the startup ability of your current Vista install is not working properly and fixing it automatically. It'll then popup with a window that says "Go ahead and repair the problem and restart the computer"

Voila, problem solved...

So Ghosting IS entirely possible it just requires an extra step....

Acronis True Image 10 (just released) will do it. Even will create complete images of the drive without having to leave the windows environment.
Not a good idea. Windows periodically reads/writes to the drive even when idle, so that could create a conflict. The best image is still created from a disk that is otherwise not in use, e.g. from DOS or live CD boot.

yes, I agree with you. I have, however, accomplished several full drive images from within the Vista environment with it of the very drive Vista was running on and each and every one was perfect when restored, its one of the feature points for this version of Acronis. But yes, I do agree with you.

Acronis True Image 10 (just released) will do it. Even will create complete images of the drive without having to leave the windows environment.

Not a good idea. Windows periodically reads/writes to the drive even when idle, so that could create a conflict. The best image is still created from a disk that is otherwise not in use, e.g. from DOS or live CD boot.

Edited by Spooky

yes, I agree with you. I have, however, accomplished several full drive images from within the Vista environment with it of the very drive Vista was running on and each and every one was perfect when restored, its one of the feature points for this version of Acronis. But yes, I do agree with you.

Probably finally using the "Volume ShadowCopy Service" from XP / 2003 that I never saw fully utilized earlier. Allows you to make background copies of files even if they're still in use, even if they're still open for editing for that matter.

Good to see someone putting it to use in an interesting way.

If you want to make a image of your harddrive vista will do it for you...go to backup in control panel...then to restore boot from your vista cd and pick restore...it works great...i made image of fresh install with settings and drivers i like...it took about 10 min to make image,and i tryed restoring which took about 15 min...

Thats slick, thank you for posting this information. Been doing the Vista beta for over a year now and never realized that and forgot completly about the backup utility.

Could you please post detailed instructions for how to accomplish this?

Thank You

If you want to make a image of your harddrive vista will do it for you...go to backup in control panel...then to restore boot from your vista cd and pick restore...it works great...i made image of fresh install with settings and drivers i like...it took about 10 min to make image,and i tryed restoring which took about 15 min...

OK, just finished working out how to do it. This is just so cool. This is Complete PC backup and it works really, really well. One really cool part is that the "image" is in VHD format, which is the format used by Virtual PC and Virtual Server. If you download the Virtual Server 2005 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta 2, there's a tool included called VHDMount. This tool allows you to mount a VHD file in the host OS so that it appears as another physical drive. You can mount your CompletePC Backup file and then grab any individual files or folders that you may need, without having to restore the entire backup.

I've always ignored the windows backup thing and never had any interest in it because it never seemed really useful overall to help me with what I needed to do, so I just ignored it in the Vista beta also without ever considering that it might have changed to something more useful. Its about time MS included something like this, I like using native OS features rather then having to install a third party app. Very cool indeed.

Edited by Spooky

Bare in mind however that I look at things from the stand point of a technician trying to fix computers, so while its all great and dandy that this backup tool will allow us to create backup images of Vista (It really is neat), if a system crashes and you're unable to get into Vista, or the drive is failing and using traditional Windows software to make the image you're always but down to having to use DOS version of Ghost, which is where my comment on how Ghost DOES work, but you need to run that boot repair thing to fix any unexpected problems....

Otherwise, really cool stuff.....