Changing the Logon VS

Zoom7000

I want to change the logon VS and Wallpaper using Regedit and deploy the tweak across our network. I've wrote up this simple script:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
"DllName"="%SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\Royale\Royale.msstyles"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="%Systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Energybliss.jpg"

Is there something I am missing? When I double-click the .reg file it says it's succesful, but then when I check in the registry, it has only set the first key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) as Royale, the other 2 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT) are still reading as Luna.msstyles and the Wallpaper option still reads at "none"

So have I made an error here that I am missing?

Zoom7000

At the very least you'll need Set Value permissions, and probably Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify and Read Control permissions as well. But if your account is a member of the workstation's Administrators group you should have all necessary permissions.

At the very least you'll need Set Value permissions, and probably Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify and Read Control permissions as well. But if your account is a member of the workstation's Administrators group you should have all necessary permissions.

Yes, I am the domain and workstation Admin, tried from both accounts. I'm just baffled! :unsure:

Does it make any difference that the type of registry key is a "REG_EXPAND_SZ" does this require a different method of adding data to the key?

Absolutely, and I think that's what's happening here. For instance, on my laptop the HKLM ThemeManager DllName value says "%SystemRoot%\Resources\themes\Luna\Luna.msstyles". However, when I export it using RegEdit, the .reg file looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
"DllName"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,25,00,5c,00,52,00,65,00,73,00,6f,00,75,00,72,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,5c,\
00,74,00,68,00,65,00,6d,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,4c,00,75,00,6e,00,61,00,5c,00,\
4c,00,75,00,6e,00,61,00,2e,00,6d,00,73,00,73,00,74,00,79,00,6c,00,65,00,73,\

So there's your answer: enter the correct strings into the REG_EXPAND_SZ values in your registry and then export them to .reg files. You can combine them into one afterwards using a text editor.