About nLite Option to renaming the Administrator account.

Hi.

I used nLite to rename the admin account to gugutz.

so now, when i install windows xp with my unattended and gets to the part to the 1st logon, witch is the part the runonceex begins to run, appears this message box saying it was unable to logon because of the username.

and i can see a logon box, like in classic style, but i can´t do anything, unless press ok, then it logs on.

is there a way to keep the admin account renamed to my nickname and avoid this error msg at first logon, or windows is configured natively to first logs on (if UnattendSwitch is set to Yes) with an account named Administrator?

mazin, i ´ve read your post, but none of the answers there solved your fist question as well, witch was the problem at logging at first time with a different admin account name.

since i renamed it to gugutz, windows won´t do the fist logon unless i press the OK button. After that, it works fine, but then i´m i little bit of perfectionist, and i would like to solve this.

What did you do to get this problem solved?

When creating my latest nLited CD, I haven't used the pages Unattended and Tweaks in nLite.

I used cancerface's CreateUser utility to rename Admin and Guest accounts, and create a new user. All this is done unattendedly.

There are more options in CreateUser, though.

To tweak my PC, I just use my collection of reg files.

I used CreateUser and had the same problem when I renamed the Admin User. I used the following to fix my problem., except I used your new admin name in this example.

SET KEY="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

REG ADD %KEY% /V "DefaultUserName" /D "gugutz" /f

REG ADD %KEY% /V "AutoAdminLogon" /D "1" /f

Joe

hmmmmm.

sounds really interesting.

thanks, jcbrief! gonna try it.

and you export these reg entries with cmdlines?

or in a before-time at setup part?

Edited by gugutz

cmdlines is very limited, so I start a batch file from cmdlines which is where I have this registry change sections.

cmdlines.txt

[COMMANDS]

".\install.bat"

install.bat

@Echo Off

call Users.cmd

call PostRegistry.cmd

call PostRunOnceEx.cmd

User.cmd

@ECHO OFF

CMDOW @ /HID

TITLE Creating Windows XP Users

SET KEY="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

START /WAIT %~dp0CreateUser.exe /INI="%~dp0Users\RenAdmin.ini"

... My other users ...

REG ADD %KEY% /V "DefaultUserName" /D "RenamedAdmin" /f

REG ADD %KEY% /V "AutoAdminLogon" /D "1" /f

rem Disable Guest User

net user Guest /active:no

Joe

nlite 1.2 RC now isn´t coming with the rename admin account option.

how do i rename it know to my nickname?

When I tried nLite a few weeks ago I couldn't see how to rename the admin account, so I took another path then nLite. So I don't know much about more then using it a few times.

A thought (I'm not sure it nLite supports it though), you could user the "User Creation Tool". With this you can rename the admin account, at least that is what I've done in win2k install with it. Its desiged for 2k & xp and more I think.

This would rquire adding the $OEM$ folder, this will give you some idea of its layout.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

I put CreateUser.exe in the $OEM$ folder with a subfolder of Users to where I have the userfiles

I've been doing much reading on getting my unattended up and running (well more like having fun playing with it :) ).

Joe.

I'm getting this exact same error when using nlite. Is there any way to get this to work without using the seperate user creation tool? I don't feel like adding another program to my installation.

thanks

Mike

Edited by dmikester1