Help with installation please

Hello all. First off I wanted to thank Mazin, for the help he has given me. Thanks Mazin. With that said, I am having problems with my installation. I created the winnt.sif file and placed it in the i396 folder. I also, put the runonceex.cmd, cmdlines.txt, and the cleanup.cmd files in the $oem$ folder.

The XP installation went fine. The problem I am having is with the installation of the applications. After the first logon, I get the screen that says windows is now setting up the following items: Then it lists all the applications I want to install. Then it just zooms down the list and stops at one of the apps and says

Windows cannot find '\apps\application.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

So, below I am going to provide a list of the following files; winnt.sif, runoncecmd.cmd, cmdlines.txt, and cleanup.cmd If anyone could eyeball these and steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh and I ran the runonceex.cmd, and checked the hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runonceex key, and all it says is Name = Data, Type = Installing Applications. (I checked that key because that is what the tutorial suggests).

RunOnceEx

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "FoxIt Reader" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\apps\FoxIt\foxitreader_setup.exe" /VERYSILENT /SP- /DIR="C:\Program Files\1-Applications\FoxIt Reader" /GROUP="1-Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Diskeeper 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Diskeeper\Diskeeper.msi /qn" INSTALLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\3-Toolbox\Diskeeper" /GROUP="3-Toolbox" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "FireFox" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Firefox\firefox.exe -ms -ira /S /D="C:\Program Files\1-Applications\Firefox" /GROUP="1-Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /VE /D "WinRar 3.20" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Winrar3.20\wrar320.exe /s /DIR="C:\Program Files\3-Toolbox\WinRar" /GROUP="3-Toolbox" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\037 /VE /D "Clone DVD" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\037 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\CloneDVD\setup.exe /S /D="C:\Program Files\2-Multimedia\CloneDVD" /GROUP="2-Multimedia" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "AnyDVD" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\AnyDVD\Setup.exe /S /D="C:\Program Files\2-Multimedia\AnyDVD" /GROUP="2-Multimedia" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Nero Ultra 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Nero 7\Nero.exe /silent /noreboot" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "TweakUI Powertoy" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\TweakUI\Tweakui.msi /qn" INSTALLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\3-Toolbox\TweakUI Powertoy" /GROUP="3-Toolbox" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "Deskman Powertoy" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Deskman\DPSetup.msi /qn" INSTALLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\3-Toolbox\Deskman Powertoy" /GROUP="3-Toolbox" /f

REG ADD %Key%\065 /VE /D "Office 2003" /f

REG ADD %Key%\065 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

cmdlines.txt

[COMMANDS]

"RunOnceEx.cmd"

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"

cleanup.cmd

cmdow @ /HID

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute..."

net user aspnet /delete

DEL "%systemroot%\*.bmp"

DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\*.jpg"

DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\*.scr"

DEL "%systemroot%\system32\*.scr"

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"

DEL "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk"

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Movie Maker.lnk"

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\drivers\

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\apps\

EXIT

winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

Unattendedswitch="yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Filesystem=*

Repartition="No"

WaitForReboot="No"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxx

FullName="Wil Del-Valle"

OrgName="MVCD"

ComputerName=Phoenix

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1280

Yresolution=1024

Vrefresh=85

AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=5,1

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=x-men

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Home_Page=http://www.google.com

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

freecell=off

hearts=off

minesweeper=off

pinball=off

solitaire=off

spider=off

zonegames=off

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes

DefaultThemesOff = Yes

Edited by gyrene2083

Well it skips all the programs and the first error msg occurs with Nero.

Windows cannot find '\apps\nero.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Then it installs office with no problem then goes down to cleanup.cmd and displays the same error msg.

Then upon further inspection. The only app that is installed is office 2003. The other applications never install.

I don't know what I did wrong.

Ok so I eyeballed the link you gave me, and made some adjustments to the runonceex file. I ran the file and checked the registry, and now I have the entries in the registry. :thumbup

Some still don't have the path of the executibles, but I think I am on the right path. Does that sound about right to you? :unsure:

Some still don't have the path of the executibles, but I think I am on the right path. Does that sound about right to you? :unsure:

Yup :thumbup One question: what are the /GROUP switches you're using supposed to do? I can't find anything about this in the REG ADD syntax help.

Thank you Ctrl-X for your answer. I greatly appreciate your time. I wanted to be able to install programs icons in specific folders, in the start menu. For example;

Here is the default Target:

c:\Program Files\GetDiz\GetDiz.exe

Here is where I would like the Target to be:

c:\Program Files\3-Toolbox\GetDiGetDiz.exe

So, mazin suggested I use the /Group switch

You can, even, set your shortcut folder in Start menu using the switch: /GROUP="FolderName"
like so;
Well, you asked where to put /GROUP="FolderName". You put it on the command line like this:

start /wait %SystemDrive%\Install\MyApp\MyINNO.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /DIR="C:\Program Files\2-Multimedia\MyAppFolder" /GROUP="FolderName"

The problems I am having right now are finding the right switches, and where exactly do the quotations go, and how I can use the /GROUP switch for the following apps;

FoxIt Reader

Diskeeper 10

FireFox

WinRar 3.20

CloneDVD

AnyDVD

Nero Ultra 7

TweakUI Powertoy

Deskman Powertoy

*Office 2003

*Office 2003, was able to do exactly what I wanted, because I created an MST file.

So, if you or anyone else has any ideas regarding the switches and quote problems I'm having, I'd be really greatful. I know I'm so close, but not quite there yet.

So, mazin suggested I use the /Group switch

Right; as you may have already discovered, this switch probably only works with a certain kind of installer. The same goes for the /VERYSILENT switch, and so on. What you need to do is find out what switches to use for every application you're trying to install. Fortunately you'll be able to find most of them in the guide: *here* or in the Application Installs subforum: *here*.

The problems I am having right now are finding the right switches, and where exactly do the quotations go,

Exactly. As for the quotations, you'll need to think of it this way:

1. The entire install command, including all switches, needs to be enclosed in double quotes;

2. If the install command itself contains quotes, they need to be preceded by a backslash character.

So if the install command is something like...

start /wait %SystemDrive%\Install\MyApp\MyINNO.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /DIR="C:\Program Files\2-Multimedia\MyAppFolder" /GROUP="FolderName"

The REG ADD command in RunOnceEx.cmd would be something like...

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "start /wait %SystemDrive%\Install\MyApp\MyINNO.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /DIR=\"C:\Program Files\2-Multimedia\MyAppFolder\" /GROUP=\"FolderName\"" /f

Note the quotes enclosing the install command in green and the ones inside the install command, preceded by backslashes, in red. Because the install command ends in double quotes and the install command also needs to be enclosed in double quotes, in this case the entire string ends in two double quotes. Hope this helps; good luck with it!

Edited by Ctrl-X

Ctrl-X, thank you so much for your direction. I made some modifications, to the runonceex.cmd file, and ran it. I looked into the registry, and I was able to see not only the entries of the applications, but the path of the executibles as well :thumbup

I am doing a test run on my virtual pc as we speak. I'll keep you abreast as to the outcome.

So, being that /GROUP, is for INNO installs only, is there a way that I can create the 3 folders (1-Applications, 2-Multimedia, 3-Toolbox), and then have the folders created in the startmenu moved to these folders?

I'm thinking a batch file, that would run after the complete install, and move the folders over. (Of course, I have no idea of scripting, so forgive my ignorance).