Upgrade time....

Nakatomi2010

Despite working with computers and keeping track of as much as I can I do miss a few things that I'd like to know...

Basically it's time for me to upgrade my gaming rig and I was looking into doing an overhaul on it.... Currently it has the following specs...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (S939)

Asus A8N-E mainboard

ATi Radeon x700 Pro (PCi-E)

1GB RAM (PC3200)

80GB HDD (SATA)

Audigy Platinum sound card

Now, I've been contemplating going to a Core 2 Duo system, but I'd like to go into something with Crossfire capabilities, I WAS going to get the P5W DH Deluxe, but since it's on backorder virtually everywhere I decided against that. And on further examination I found that when Crossfire IS enabled it only runs at 8x as opposed to 16x... This made me want to wait until the RD600 chipset gets released for the Intel platform so that I could get 16x crossfire and a third PCI-E slot for a physics card later on....

But then I got to thinking what if I stuck with AMD? The A64 X2 4600+ AM2 is not that far off speed wise from a Core 2 Duo, about 10 frames in a game, and 5 to 15 seconds in software involving timing... (These figures gotten from Tomshardware) that and cost wise it appears to basically be about 170 dollars cheaper to implement...

My problem is that my system is starting to show its age and it's choking on some games like Company of Heros, I figure I could upgrade the processor, but then the video card would boottleneck, and I can't really upgrade the video card because this close to Vista's release DX10 cards aren't that far off and would probably be a better investment....

So ultimatly I'm asking is what would you guys do?

I'm tempted to wait until Vista is released before I do any upgrading of my components, and then maybe even wait for DDR3 to be out and see if I can't skip the whole DDR2 thing....

Thoughts, opinions and name calling welcome....

If you wait until DDR3 platforms are available then you have to wait one year more at least.

Direct X 10 cards will take also 6 months.

If I was you I would upgrade the video card, and go with a 7900GT and some more RAM when you install VISTA. For the rest of the components; keep them for a year more, then sell the whole system and get a new one or keep it as your second one.

That’s what I would do...

I know the 975x supports it, but it onlt supposrts it at 8x where as the RD600 would be 16x, so there's a bit of a performance loss there....

I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg, unfortunatly I wouldn't be able to order more than about 1 part every two months or so... :(