Decent OGG vorbis/theora/speex software

Steven W

I have tried several Directshow filters and programs and none seems "right".

illuminable Directshow filters - Great for vorbis, but did not playback theora files (the one's I downloaded anyway)

Radlight Directshow filters - Plays back all media that I tried, but when playing a vorbis file skips first few seconds of audio.

VLC - supports all but again skips a few seconds on vorbis files.

Winamp - Does vorbis very well but that's all it supports

MPC didn't playback theora files unless using Radlight filters.

Any advice?

I use 1by1 with its ogg plugin for good quality vbr music and mplayer or vlc for my own theora encoded files,both theora players need some cpu to avoid sync problems (although skew is available), 1by1 plays ogg without any problems even on a 200mhz non mmx

also a good defrag prog like voptxp (win9x compatable) works wonders

HTH

What version of mplayer are you using? I've had trouble with the latest version causing my PC to reboot. I would like to have one player to handle all files with the ogg extension instead of thinking about it!

Edited by Steven W

Winamp plays more than just Vorbis - it plays ogg just fine and other formats. Using winamp 2.95 here. Even plays OGM files and the like without a problem (add OGM/OGV to your winamps 'nullsoft directshow decoder' config such as 'MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;OGM;OGV')

Theora files I don't know the extention for it. However, I'm sure there are decoder plugins for winamp to handle those types. Aside from that - wianmp has played every media format I've thrown at it.

Speex uses the OGG format according to a quick googling.

Same as theora...

so: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Filter...ra_and_FLAC.htm should provide the directshow filters you need to play those formats. As long as you have the filters installed winamp should be able to play those OGG formats as well using it's directshow decoder without a problem.

Edited by Chozo4

Theora can have the ogg extension too. If my understanding is correct ogg is just a container. Winamp doesn't do theora I couldn't even make it open theora files by forcing it to use directshow (with the Radlight filters). I believe some are looking into using ogg for dirac video.

I am going to try ffdshow! Thanks for the replies!