An error while installing windows XP Pro.....

DinsTheTechDigger

Hi all,,

It very urgent So please reply as early as possible......

One of my client's Machine Stops (Hangs) during the booting of Win Xp On the WinXP Logo Screen.

I Tried Recovery console options to replacing the system file but it didn't worked....

So then I Started to Repair the Win XP Installation...

During the Copying of the Setup startup file to the Memory and just before the Massege "PRESS 'ENTER' TO INSTALL, PRESS 'R' FOR RECOVERY PRESS 'F3' TO QUIT"-

THE BELOW ERROR DISPLAYED ON THE SCREEN - - -

{

"File mountmgr.sys caused an unexpecte4d error (12800) at line 5964 ind:\int\base\boot\setup\setup.c"

PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE....

and when I pressed a key, it showed....

"SETUP FAILED PRESS ANY KEY TO RESTART COMPUTER"

}

I removed the HDD and attached to another PC with the same configuration as the PC giving problem, and it worked all fine on that machine, I can be able to successfully Boot win xp pro and looged on with all the user account and all the installed programes worked fine as well......with no issue I worked smoothly for two-three hours.

I again tried to Attach the HDD to its original PC and tried to boot but again the booting failed and the PC hanged on the WINXP Logo screen.....

So can any one tell me what could be the problem with the PC....

I thought to Update the Bios and so Searched for the Bios but can not find after several attempts of GOOGLING....

Machine's Config is as given - - - -

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.55

BIOS Date: 03/07/03

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

BIOS ID: 03/07/2003-8361-686X-6A6LNB0BC

OEM Sign-On: VKQ0307T

Chipset: VIA 82C3112 rev 0

Superio: VIA 686 rev 64 found at port 7h

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1533 Mhz

BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes

BIOS ROM Size: 256K

Memory Installed: 256 MB

Memory Maximum: 512 MB

Memory Slot 01: 0 MB

Memory Slot 02: 256 MB

40 GB Seagate HDD

1.44 FDD

Mother Board is of KRYPTON...

eSupport.com, Inc.

1-800-800-BIOS (2467)

Please let me know the probable cause and the solution for it.....as soon as you can.

And please also provide me the link for the latest update of Bios Flash and .Bin files.

You can mail me the details at dins.the.tech.digger@gmail.com

Thanking You all,

Regards,

Dins'

About the BIOS, it should be a Biostar M7VKS:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/index.php3

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/m...php3?name=M7VKS

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=M7VKS

but it is strange, as you appear to have a 03/07/2003 BIOS, whilst the one on the page above is earlier.

Check this:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/index2.php3

Whenever in doubt with a BIOS, refer here:

http://www.wimsbios.com/

But I suspect more a driver issue than a BIOS problem.

Try booting on it either a DOS floppy or (better) a live CD like a Linux distro or a BartPE, most probably it will work.

However:

I removed the HDD and attached to another PC with the same configuration as the PC giving problem, and it worked all fine on that machine, I can be able to successfully Boot win xp pro and looged on with all the user account and all the installed programes worked fine as well......with no issue I worked smoothly for two-three hours.

You can also try using the Award Phoenix utility to copy the BIOS of the "other" machine, ONLY IF IT'S ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL and flash with it the PC that does not want to work.

On the other hand, if the "other" machine is not exactly identical, the fact that the HD works on it only means that the hard disk is OK. :)

jaclaz

{Try booting on it either a DOS floppy or (better) a live CD like a Linux distro or a BartPE, most probably it will work.}

Hi jaclaz, thanks for the reply...

I Tried to boot the computer with the knoippix - 3.7 live CD but it halted while searching for the usb port and got hanged...

and yes I was able to boot the machine from Windows 98 bootable CD thugh.

and the idea you gave me to backup the bios from another machine is really a good idea, I;ll try it and se if it works...

thanks again,

Bye and Take care,

Regards

@ Dins'

Hi all,

I backed up the bios from the other ditto identical machine and flashed the bios of the troubled machine but still the error occured during the boot. I Even physically changed the bios chip of the defected machine with other machin and again it failed to complete the boot and hanged at the windows os loading progress bar.

So some one please tell me what could be the probable cayse to this....Is the motherboard need to be checked by a technicain for some fault on it?

PC starts normally and shows the boot screen properly when I select to boot from any os it goes ahead and after a few seconds it got hanged at the progress bar,

I just can't figure out what could be the problem with the motherboard , as initiallt it starts normally. I even tried to replace the IDE cables, Power Supply, Removing all the PCI cards etc, but nothing happened to my way...

Please guide/help me ...

Regards,

@ Dins'

~:

Yep, as said, the BIOS did not appear to be the problem.

In my experience first thing that can cause such a problem is actually RAM, you should try doing the following:

1) Remove all RAM from the system

2) AFTER having made sure that you discharged possible static electricity, use a rubber eraser, NOT the type for pencils, the "old" round shaped ones meant to coorect typewriter errors (they are slightly more abrasive) to clean contacts on the RAM sticks

3) use a GOOD, NON OILY type of spray contact cleaner to clean the sticks connectors on the motherboard

4) SWAP RAM sticks, i.e. put the one in connector #1 in connector #2 and viceversa

5) Run for at least 24 hours (of course if you can boot) memtest86:

http://www.memtest.org/

6) If ANY errors are detected, re-do from point #5 without the faulty stick

7) If NO error are found, try replacing the processor (with the one of the identical machine)

8) If it stil does not work, the motherboard is 99,99% a goner

ALL the above tests must be made with the LEAST possible devices connected, i.e. Video Card (if not on board one) and Monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Disconnect hard disk, floppy disk and, if you have multiple USB ports, the cable(s) that connect motherboard to front ones.

Set the BIOS as "Failsafe Settings" or similar, disable LPT and COM ports, EVERYTHING.

Then, if it works, re-enable or re-connect one by one the devices and ports.

jaclaz

One of my client's Machine Stops (Hangs) during the booting of Win Xp On the WinXP Logo Screen.
Set the BIOS as "Failsafe Settings" or similar, disable LPT and COM ports, EVERYTHING.

Before disabling everything, try disabling just the SMART feature for the IDE slots.

I've had similar "hangs at winlogo" problems, and it was this dumb feature. (plus, the setup said something about mountmgr, which is related to drives)

++