W98 System Restore Script Project

Fredledingue

Andromeda,

It's more going past minor screws-up. ;)

The goal is to back up (and restore) files which have been deleted or modified and delete files that have been added.

I'm not a programmer so I'm limited to scripting and can't do much more than basicaly save files and their path and move them back later if necessary. No rocket science here.

The goal is also to have something that is fast and easy. I mean somewhere between 20 seconds and one mintue (on a modern machine) for the regular snap back-up.

And at the same time to back up every files (except those who won't be able to be backed up for access denied errors but these files are rare) while similar softwares usualy back up only the most important ones to save space.

I think it could work as document back up as well thought the philosophy is different.

Thanks to scripting, it will be easily modifiable, customizable and opensource.

I don't exclude that one day it could repair a broke windows in DOS mode from a batch file. I imagine that it could be possible to do so from a files stored on a CD-r or any other external device or drive.

But the first version will still require windows to operate, at least for the interface.

The recovery process will be done under plain DOS thought I hope to create a possibility to fix files without restarting when restarting in DOS mode is not needed to make it even faster.

I never used Gohst but as far as I know, it's copying the partition and it reformat your HD when restoring and make your drive C 'as it was".

Am I right?

Edited by Fredledingue

New version released today.

Dowload here

Using ARJ compressor instead.==> Much more reliable!

It took a lot of readme reading, testing and figuring out all the switches for all the tested softwares to come with the conclusion that ARJ should be used and how it has to be used.

Next candidate was Ldzip but Arj seems to be more complete, more flexible and more configurable.

I'm tempted to use Rar for Dos but it's not freeware and it's not clear what are the limitations for the non-licensed version. :angel

Arj is freeware for personal use.

Using ARJ compressor instead.==> Much more reliable!

Arj is freeware for personal use.

It is, but still displays the license screen or if using an older version it will prompt to download a newer one.

So you may wish to use the free, open source GPL [General Public License] version instead:

http://arj.sourceforge.net/

Same features + command line switches, LFN support, but no nag screens, and no registration or prompt to download newer version.

HTH

MDGx,

Thanks for the link.

I'll put this one instead, if everything is realy the same.

But I didn't see and nag screen or any download prompt or license prompt or whatever annoying from the version within my package, and this is the lasst official version from their own site.

The only difference (and this is what they say) is a small pause of one or two seconds before each start of the program and some remark lines in the dos prompt.

Patchwork,

What's your problem?

Unavailability of the source code.

??? :blink: The source code is available: Open .vbs or .hta files in notepad and you'll get the source code. Can't be easier. :angel:P

By "copyrighted" I mean that you can't steal my code, change two lines and put your name on it.

If you want to participate in the developement, you can modify the scripts and distribute free of charge the modified versions, but you must keep my name as the main author of the script(s) and the copyright mark, and for the sake of cooperation, mention which lines you modified.

The second thing is that you can't put this code/package for sale or charge a special fee for dowloading this code/package.

Edited by Fredledingue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
??? :blink: The source code is available: Open .vbs or .hta files in notepad and you'll get the source code. Can't be easier. :angel:P

Ops... sorry ! :blushing:

By "copyrighted" I mean that you can't steal my code, change two lines and put your name on it.

If you want to participate in the developement, you can modify the scripts and distribute free of charge the modified versions, but you must keep my name as the main author of the script(s) and the copyright mark, and for the sake of cooperation, mention which lines you modified.

Releasing it under GPL gives you mutch more ensurements against these kind of problems (check this article out). :yes:

....and you can get a page @ SF !

Edited by patchworks

-Fixed more errors in checksystem*.vbs.

patchwork,

Thanks for the article...

Yes, I have thought of joining OpenSource and other place.

But it's already enough time consuming to update my own webpage and the thread here. I will see when I'll have more time.

And I'm not too worry about copyrights: Freeware is freeware you know... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

v0.6 Christmass Release

Nothing very special for xmass but I thought it would be cool to release it today:

-Fixed more errors in checksystem*.vbs, especialy in filepaths. (again)

_______

Patchwork,

Thanks for these links and advices. I'm going to talk with my lawyers about that. I mean with my lawyers in charge of copyrights and royalties. ;):D (Just kidding...!)

• 4 months later...