Runtime Error on IE6

coucou

Hi,

I just installed my latest Unattended WinXP Pro DVD.

By testing my Internet connxion (IE 6), I noticed when i connect to some web site i get a "Runtime Error" (see image bellow), then all intenet pages closed.

Here amazing example: i can connect to http://www.msfn.org then when i click on "Forum" which is http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php i get "Runtime Error" and by click [OK] Internet is closed.

I scaned my computer by Symantec Corp 10 AV and Webroot SpySweeper. NO viruses / spyware / malware

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

coucou

Edited by coucou

They're almost advise to UNinstall Google Toolbar.

I did uninstall Google Toolbar... still i get Runtime Error when i connect to

Then it's probably due to another program overwriting one of your MSVC*.DLL files... When did this problem start occurring? Was it right after you installed some new application?

Hi,

Finally i found the cause of my problem :D:D:D

First i uninstall Webroot SpySweeper + Symantec Client Security Corp to check if the're in cause. NO, They aren't.

Then, i disabled all the IE "Manage Add-ons" (IE/Tools/Manage Add-ons or IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add-ons) and checked my IE connexion while enabled the Managed Add-ons one by one.

The cause is the "MainCode Class" addons from Syntexis Software, "Browser helper Object" type, "wsr_ieplug.dll" file.

In fact, i've installed Web Stream Recorder

coucou

For IE6 in XP SP2 or later only:

gpedit.msc:

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Security Features\Add-on Management

Deny all add-ons unless specifically allowed in the Add-on List

regedit (this subkey is absent by default unless you set a policy):

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\RestrictToList

REG_DWORD = 1

EDIT:

corrected for reg key error;

added more info

Edited by Takeshi

TNX for th info Takeshi ;)

Although the above "MainCode Class" addons is disabled directly via IE6/Tools/Manage Add-ons, I can't find HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext!RestrictToList.

All what i have is: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLISD when CLISD contain {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} value. :}

Do I have to add manualy Ext!RestrictToList key? If so, what kind of value (String, Binary, DWORD...) would be that addons and what name ("MainCode Class" )???

May you give me an example?

Regards

coucou

I've corrected the reg key error above and added DWORD. (The error comes from the MS xls document on XP SP2 Group Policy. I just copied it yesterday.)

If you have XP Pro, run gpedit.msc, go to that setting and set it to enabled. Then open regedit and you'll see what key is set. That's when I find out the error today.

After you set the above, you'd also need to add the permitted CLSID in the next setting, Add-on List. Click inside and it explains how you do it. Then look inside regedit.

If you don't have XP Pro, I can do a dummy run and paste more info for you. But it'd be better if you do it yourself, then you understand what it's all about.

Once you've done all that, export the relevant keys for UACD.

I don't have the CLSID you mentioned, you have to go to HKCR\CLSID to find out what it is.

Too complicate.

The above CLISD {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} is for Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool.

Regarding "MainCode Class" addons, i foud it in HKCR/CLISD {4E9CAE1A-545D-48EA-8EEF-4D1DB6695AD3}

I ran run gpedit.msc |Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Security Features\Add-on Management and add in "Add-on List" - Enabled

Value Name {4E9CAE1A-545D-48EA-8EEF-4D1DB6695AD3} Value 1

Then i ran regedit, here bellow what i got

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext]
"ListBox_Support_CLSID"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]
"{4E9CAE1A-545D-48EA-8EEF-4D1DB6695AD3}"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\NonEnum]
"{BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}"=dword:00000001
"{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF}"=dword:40000021
"{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1}"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
"dontdisplaylastusername"=dword:00000000
"legalnoticecaption"=""
"legalnoticetext"=""
"shutdownwithoutlogon"=dword:00000001
"undockwithoutlogon"=dword:00000001

Do i have just to modify in regedit the CLISD "{4E9CAE1A-545D-48EA-8EEF-4D1DB6695AD3}" value from "1" to "0"?

Regards

coucou

From the Explain tab of Add-on List Properties:

Value - A number indicating whether Internet Explorer should deny or allow the add-on to be loaded. To specify that an add-on should be denied enter a 0 (zero) into this field. To specify that an add-on should be allowed, enter a 1 (one) into this field. To specify that an add-on should be allowed and also permit the user to manage the add-on through Add-on Manager, enter a 2 (two) into this field.
So to deny WGA Val Tool, use 0. :P

Once you set all the options in gpedit, it shouldn't be necessary to change anything else in regedit.

Only the first half is relevant here. The rest is there to start with.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext]

"ListBox_Support_CLSID"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]

"{4E9CAE1A-545D-48EA-8EEF-4D1DB6695AD3}"="1"

but you still need this with the above:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\RestrictToList

It is a bit complicated, that's why I urged you to do it yourself so that you understand a bit more about it. Test it out and see if this works.

A tout à l'heure :hello:

Edited by Takeshi